Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARDCHULLARIE MORE INCLUDING LODGE AND MOTOR HOUSE/KENNEL/ BYRELB3983

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Callander
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 58495 13552
Coordinates
258495, 713552

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

1910. Shooting lodge designed by the Glasgow architects Stewart and Paterson for Colonel Archibald Stirling of Keir. The building is characterised by its restrained Scots Renaissance detailing including crowstepped gables and carved and shaped dormerheads to the principal 1st floor windows. The main house is L-shaped with an adjoining lower service and bedroom wing creating an overall U-plan. Wing walls from the house and service block link to a former stable block shielding the rear of the house from view and creating an internal courtyard. Built on an elevated site above the A84 road to take full advantage of the dramatic scenery. The main elevation faces SW giving views across Loch Lubnaig towards Ben Ledi. A driveway leaves the main road passing a rectangular-plan motor house, further along the drive is an L-shaped lodge, and some distance from this is the main house itself.

To the entrance (NW) elevation, a large armorial panel with the Stirling family motto 'Gang forward' is set above the bolection moulded doorpiece. The carved dormerheads to the pair of 1st floor breaking eaves windows are decorated with strapwork to their upper parts and inscribed with the initial A. S. (Archibald Stirling). The adjoining wing wall to the left is punctured by a large round arched gateway with an oversized keystone and voussoirs giving access to the courtyard. The NW gable end of the former stable block is enlivened by a small capped stair turret which sits below the majority of the gable end. The SW (garden) elevation has a large late 20th century conservatory centred at the ground floor with a balcony created to its roof. The central window to the 1st floor has been lengthened and gives access to the balcony. The dormerheads are simpler than those to the NW. The 2-bay service and bedroom wing is set back from the main façade. It extends out to the NE creating a corresponding arm to that of the entrance wing. The wing wall to the SE is lower than that of the NW, a doorway is set to the centre. The stable block is plain to its SE and NE elevations, stone dormerheads employed throughout the building are not featured to the NE, as this elevation is fairly obscured.

Dormerheads are though employed to the elevation of the stable block which faces into the internal courtyard as family and house guests would have been familiar with this part of the building as they mounted and dismounted their horses. The ground floor of the stable block has been reconfigured to offer modern accommodation. The rear elevation of the house which faces into the courtyard is plain and unadorned, both gable ends are crowstepped, that to the service wing is set lower.

Interior

The interior of the house has been designed to a very high standard employing some interesting Wrenaissance detailing. Common features to the majority of the principal ground floor rooms include moulded doorpieces with overdoors, parquet flooring, Jacobean revival cornice work and a series of fine chimneypieces with cast-iron hob grates. The entrance leads into a panelled painted timber vestibule which gives access to the central hall. The hall is painted panelled timber with a number of reeded ionic columns and pilasters, some of which frame the dogleg stair. The former smoking room has polished oak panelling with a bolection marble and lugged timber chimneypiece framed by a pair of ionic pilasters supporting a cornice. A corridor running off the hall gives access to the dining room with further service rooms including the butler's pantry and kitchen set off from this. The butler's pantry retains its original cupboards, which have been recently restored, 2004. The stairwell to the 1st floor is enclosed by an arcade of ionic columns with Jacobean style plasterwork. The hall corridor running to part of the 1st floor has a simple barrel vault. A series of bedrooms and bathrooms run off the hall with simple decoration and coomed ceilings.

Materials

Painted white render with dressed sandstone to openings, margins, base course, eaves cornice, dormerheads, crowsteps and stacks. 4-panelled timber main door with multi-paned letterbox fanlight. Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate pitched roofs. Stacks arranged predominantly to gable apexes, ridge stack to service block, pair of wallhead stacks to stable block. Stacks; rendered with exposed margins to house, ashlar to service/bedroom wing, rendered to stable block. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

Lodge

1910. Symmetrical, simple, single storey, L-shaped lodge. A 1763 date stone reputedly taken from a former farm house to the site is placed above the doorway. Bipartite windows flank the door. Timber boarded door with multi-paned fanlight, 12-pane timber sash and case windows to principal windows.

White painted render with exposed sandstone dressings to openings and margins. Pitched grey slate roof with modern ventilators, exposed rafters. Rendered gable apex stacks with cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Motor House/Kennels/Byre

1910. Rectangular-plan multi-purpose building. To the rear the building is missing its doors and windows, and is in some state of deterioration, 2004. 2 large doors to the SW gable give access to a large space which would have been used to garage motor vehicles. The ceiling is timber boarded with a central ventilator joined to the ventilator of the gable apex. To the SE elevation is a kennel with cast iron railings to an enclosure. To the rear of the building is to be found a compartment which housed a former byre/dairy. A stack to the rear possibly indicates that this may have also served as a bothy. Harled walls, sections to the rear have deteriorated. Pitched grey slate roof, coped ashlar skews with scroll skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

Major Roy's map indicates that a farming township was situated at Ardchullarie More in the mid 18th century, then called Aldchulery. The 1st edition map shows a building sited where the lodge is built, it was probably pulled down at the time the shooting lodge was built. It is believed that this building was a farmhouse where the early African explorer James Bruce of Kinniard (1730-1794) wrote his account in 1768 of his journey to the source of the Blue Nile. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey appears to show the township had been been deserted by 1863-63.

It is believed by the owner that the house may have been commissioned to celebrate the marriage of Colonel Archibald Stirling of Keir. Colonel Stirling's son, David Stirling, is credited as founding the S.A.S.

References

Bibliography

Major Rob Roy's Military Map (1747-1755); 1st edition (Perthshire) Ordnance Survey Map (1862-1863); The Gazetteer for Scotland (1995-2005); Gifford, J. Stirling and Central Scotland (2002), pp. 555-556; further information supplied by kind permission of the owner, 2004.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDCHULLARIE MORE INCLUDING LODGE AND MOTOR HOUSE/KENNEL/ BYRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:38