Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

7 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGSLB39628

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11392 22976
Coordinates
311392, 722976

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical villa with distinctive balustraded parapet and 1897, 2-storey and attic central single-bay extension to rear. Ashlar to principal elevation (E), rubble to other elevations with ashlar margins. Eaves cornice, wallhead balustrade. Some gabled attic dormers breaking wallhead to rear.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION (E): single-storey, full-length parapetted portico with square-plan Doric columns and with balustraded, advanced central bay with pair of fluted Ionic columns. Central non-traditional timber entrance door with rectangular fanlight above with circular glazing pattern. Flanking tripartite windows with stone mullions and recessed aprons. Moulded raised architraves to upper floor window openings.

Predominantly plate glass and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended roof, grey slates. Wallhead stacks with decorative cans.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Original room-plan largely extant. Stone open-well stair with decorative iron balusters and timber handrail. Some decorative cornice and ceiling plasterwork. Part-glazed 2-leaf internal entrance door with fanlight above with circular glazing pattern.

OUTBUILDINGS: single storey outbuildings to SW.

BOUNDARY WALLS: surround building. Coped, rubble walls to N and S, lower wall to E with iron railings and central decorative iron gate. To W, painted rubble wall with 3 square-plan gatepiers with near-flat capstones.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 St Leonard's Bank, Parklands Hotel'; '3 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers'; '5 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuilding'; '7 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings'; '9 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '4 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '6 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers' and '10 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listings).

This is a fine, well-detailed Classical house with distinctive balustrading and a finely detailed Ionic columned entrance. The house forms part of an impressive row of large villas (see separate listings) which all have large sloping gardens to the South Inch Park. This house with its impressive balustraded garden elevation and good Classical detailing is an important integral part of this row. The extension to the rear was conceived in 1897 and provided a bathroom and a servant's bedroom for J & D Gowans, Merchants, who were the owners at the time.

The plots along St Leonard's Bank were laid out for development by W M Mackenzie, the Perth City Architect in 1828. The area was owned by the Glover Incorporation, which was one of the largest landowners in Perth at the time. The early part of the 19th century was an important time for the development of Perth City as it expanded to the South and this row of high quality houses at St Leonard's Bank formed a critical part of that expansion. Conditions with sale of the feu are said to have included the building of a house with an ashlar front and at a value of at least £800.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

Leslie's Directory Map, 1837, Perth City Library. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. J Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p633. N Haynes, Perth and Kinross, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 2000, p28. Dean of Guild Plans, DGP/1897/41, Perth City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:33