Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 AND 2 ST LEONARD'S BANK, PARKLANDS HOTELLB39622

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11417 23117
Coordinates
311417, 723117

Description

Late 18th and late 19th century. Hotel comprising 2 former villas now linked by 2-storey wing with projecting conservatory. Several later single-storey extensions to rear.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: No 1 to right: late 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Painted rubble with contrasting, raised painted margins. Base course, cill course. Later single-storey extension to N.

No 2 to left: late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Squared and coursed tooled sandstone with painted raised margins and quoins. Cill course. Central steps lead to 2-leaf timber entrance door with semi-circular fanlight above set in keystoned round-arched doorpiece with consoled cornice. Flanking, canted bay windows to ground; moulded architraves to upper window openings. Pair of piended canted dormers. Earlier 20th century 2-storey extensions to N and S.

Predominantly plate glass with horns to No 1 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows to No 2. Grey slates, coped gablehead stacks with some decorative cans.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Both houses have undergone some degree of alteration. Both retain curved staircases with decorative iron balusters and timber handrails. Some decorative cornicing to public rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 St Leonard's Bank, Parklands Hotel'; '3 St Leonards Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers'; '5 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuilding'; '7 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings'; '9 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '4 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '6 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers' and '10 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listings).

Comprising two former villas, this prominently sited hotel is situated on sloping ground overlooking the South Inch. Together they form a distinctive building which is a significant addition to the streetscape of this picturesque area of Perth city and they form part of a run of large villas. No 1 St Leonard's Bank, to the right, is likely to date from the late 18th century and retains its early distinctive plain profile on its principal elevation. It is called Marshall's Bank on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1860. It is situated close to Perth Railway Station (see separate listing) and was owned in the early 20th century by the London, Midland and Scottish Railways. No 2 St Leonard's Bank has a good decorative door piece and was extended in 1922 with flanking 2-storey wings to provide extra bedrooms. This villa at that date was called the Atholl Hotel.

The plots in St Leonard's Bank were laid out for development by W M Mackenzie in 1828 from land which belonged to the Glover Incorporation. These two buildings, although now forming part of the run of villas on St Leonard's Bank, was not part of the original scheme as No 2 is of a later date and not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map and No 1 seems to predate Mackenzie's scheme.

William Macdonald Mackenzie (1797-1856) was Perth City Architect for around 30 years and was responsible for a number of buildings both within the city of Perth and the surrounding countryside.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

John Wood , Plan of the City of Perth, 1823, in NLS. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. J Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p632. other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 AND 2 ST LEONARD'S BANK, PARKLANDS HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:37