There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 20/03/1991
- Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Burgh: Perth
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 11609 23794
- Coordinates: 311609, 723794
A Cattanach of Kingussie, 1933, with T B Gibson as consultant, for Caledonian Associated Cinemas. Large Art Deco Cinema with shops at ground floor. Red brick with marble clad shopfronts and tower, now painted, retaining original canopy and metal-framed glazing, and interior decorative elements. Facade: recessed central doorway with 4 sets of double doors, canopy over with Art Deco neon tube lighting. Marble faced, buttressed tower above, now painted and with horizontal "Playhouse" sign in script above 3 light window. Shop-fronts flanking at ground and 2 floors above curving into tower; upper floors with brick band courses and continuous wrap-around horizontal windows at each floor. Stock brick built sides and rear.
INTERIOR: some decorative elements retained, although auditorium now subdivided and repainted. Cantilevered balcony, stylised pilasters and Art Deco cornice to walls, panelled ceiling. Curved metal banisters to stair in foyer. Original doors with chrome fittings remain upstairs to auditorium and bar.
Statement of Special Interest
An important survival of an Art Deco cinema, the distinctive Art Deco frontage of this cinema is a significant addition to the streetscape of this area of Perth. The cinema is unusual in retaining its metal-framed windows and the continual horizontal lines of these contrast with the central, vertical tower and add to the cinema's distinguished appearance.
Colonel Alexander Cattanach designed more than 20 cinemas in northern Scotland for Caledonian Associated Cinemas, which was possibly the largest cinemas circuit in 1930's Scotland. T B Gibson, here acting as consultant, designed for South Scotland and Edinburgh. Perth Playhouse was Caledonian's flagship, with a seating capacity of 1700. There are now five screens within the original building and two more in a modern extension to the rear. It incorporated a café and 2 shops and had the added distinction of a cantilevered balcony. It was built within 9 weeks, which Idea Kinema considered to be a record (McKean). Laing's perspective shows a confectioner and a tobacconist occupying the flanking shops at ground floor, with signage in a similar style to the original vertical Playhouse sign which was flanked by flagpoles and banners. The canopy details illustrated here differ from those built. The previous list description notes that there are fine proscenium openings behind the present screen to the main cinema, with Art Deco fretwork and relief panels, but this could not be verified at time of visit (2009). Perth Playhouse is very similar to the Regal in Rothesay of 1937, also by Cattanach and now demolished.
Information from the Cinema Theatre Association notes that planning permission was granted in 2006 for a side extension for additional screens as well as the removal of the balcony stairs in the main building.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study, 2007-08.
List description update as part of Perth Resurvey, 2010.
Perth Library Plans DGP/1933/53 by Alex Cattanach of Kingussie, T B Gibson Consultant, for Robert Wotherspoon, Inverness, July 1933. J W Laing, Perspective View Playhouse Cinema, Perth (1933) in RIAS Collection, National Monuments Record of Scotland. Featured in National Monuments Record of Scotland Exhibition, From the Printroom (Feb-Apr 1991). Charles McKean, The Scottish Thirties (1987) p38 & 64. Other information courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association Scotland: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 31-12-07).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.