Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

WEST MILL STREET, LOWER CITY MILLS, TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRELB39578

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - See Notes
  • Date Added: 20/05/1965

Location

  • Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Burgh: Perth

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NO 11485 23722
  • Coordinates: 311485, 723722

Description

John Stewart, Wright, between 1803 & 1808 in present form, probably incorporating earlier fabric. 3-storey, 4-x 5-bay, mainly rectangular former mill block, oversailing its tailrace and with pyramidal-roofed former kiln with roof vent at SE corner. Rubble with smooth raised margins. Canted SW corner. Regular rectangular openings. South elevation with off-centre, later, 2-leaf timber entrance doors.

INTERIOR: (seen, 2009). Much of the internal mill workings are intact, including the low-breast paddle wheel to the W, although none are currently in use (2009). These include the elevator, sack hoist, an electric grain dryer and shelling stones. The S section of the mill has been converted to offices.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, some with lower external timber shutters. Grey slates. 3 piended roofs to main section.

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with 57 and 57 West Mill Street; West Mill Street, The Old Granary and West Mill Street, Ramada Perth Hotel (former city mills).

This is an important early survival of a former mill from Perth's industrial past which retains much of its internal workings. The footprint of the building remains little altered from the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1860 and the building is an important part of the streetscape.

This mill acquired its present form after a fire in 1803 but it is likely to contain some earlier fabric, as a mill is depicted on the earlier, 1783 map. It is marked on the 1st Edition Map as a corn mill and a barley mill. It was latterly in use as an oatmeal mill and stopped production in 1953. The building now houses the Tourist Information Centre.

This area was served by the town's lade which brought water from the River Almond. This mill was part of a complex which included an upper mill, a flour mill, a lower mill, an oatmeal mill and a granary and offices. The upper mill is now the Ramada Perth Hotel and the old granary is now flats (see separate listings). The other buildings have been demolished.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh Resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

Inset Map in The Counties of Perth & Clackmannan, James Stobie, 1783 National Library of Scotland. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1859-60. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007 pf642. Information from Canmore database at www.rcahms.gov.uk

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 31/07/2016 08:17