Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

WEST MILL STREET, RAMADA PERTH HOTEL, (FORMER UPPER CITY MILLS)LB39577

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - See Notes
  • Date Added: 20/05/1965

Location

  • Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Burgh: Perth

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NO 11417 23731
  • Coordinates: 311417, 723731

Description

Former mill with mid 18th century W section and late 18th century S & E sections. 3-storey and loft, U-plan , currently hotel, with T M Miller & Partners, 1970-1 2-storey and attic extensions to W and E and single storey entrance block infill to courtyard to N. Rubble with smooth margins. Some rectangular openings to ground with timber boarded doors. Small piended dormers.

Predominantly 9-pane and 12-pane non-traditional tilt-and-turn timber windows. Grey slates. Piended roof to S section; other sections gabled.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Converted to hotel in 1970s, but retaining some original mill features. Rare, timber King-post roof with timber trusses, rafters and tie-beams to main function room. 2 timber undershot wheels remain visible from foyer.

Statement of Special Interest

A Group with 57 and 57 West Mill Street; West Mill Street, Lower City Mills, Tourist Information Centre and West Mill Street, The Old Granary.

This predominantly 18th century mill is an important and rare survival of an industrial building in Perth. It is particularly notable for the remarkable survival of the timber King post roof in the major function suite. The hotel retains its small, regular openings and it is a significant part of the cityscape in this area. The mills are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map as two flour mills, to West and East and with a connecting granary to the South.

This area was served by the city's lade which brought water from the River Almond. These mills were part of a complex which included an upper mill, a flour mill, a lower mill, an oatmeal mill and a granary and offices. The lower mill is now the Tourist Information Centre and the old Granary is now the Tourist Information Office (see separate listings). The other buildings have been demolished.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh Resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

map inset in The Counties of Perth & Clackmannan, James Stobie, 1783, National Library of Scotland. John Wood, Map of City of Perth, 1823. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1859-60. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007 pf642. N Hayes, Perth & Kinross, 2000 p30. Information from SCRAN, at www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 03-11-09). Other information courtesy of hotel manager.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/08/2016 02:31