Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

73-79 (ODD NOS) SOUTH METHVEN STREET AND 1 COUNTY PLACELB39574

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11540 23509
Coordinates
311540, 723509

Description

Mid 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 6-x 4-bay corner block with shops to ground. Painted rubble. Raised contrasting margins. Eaves band. Altered shop fronts. Piended canted dormers to E (South Methven Street). Non-traditional doors.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, plate glass timber sash and case to Nos 73 & 75. Plate glass to ground. Grey slates, gable stack. Raised skews to E.

Statement of Special Interest

This is an anchor corner building on the juxtaposition of two main thoroughfares. The building has retained a characteristic simple-mid-19th century profile and stands in contrast to the neighbouring, more highly decorative buildings of the later 19th century. This is one of the few major corner sites of the centre of the city which was not altered in the late 19th century to provide an elaborate, tall tenement. It is therefore an important element of the historic fabric of the city.

South Methven Street was laid out in 1791, following the line of the Medieval boundary wall. These buildings are not depicted on the early 19th century maps.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1859-60. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007, p638. RCAHMS, REF 159719, photo no A10068. Perth City Archive, Photo of South Street Port, undated, but likely to be circa 1900 (Ref 050).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 73-79 (ODD NOS) SOUTH METHVEN STREET AND 1 COUNTY PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 05:04