Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

33 North Methven Street (The Half Moon Public House) and 16A, 16B and 16C Foundry Lane, PerthLB39564

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1977
Last Date Amended
08/11/2019
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11560 23831
Coordinates
311560, 723831

Description

Built around 1800, it is a three-storey and attic, symmetrical and classically styled tenement with public house at ground level on corner site. Built in ashlar to street elevation and rubble to side and rear elevations. There are some raised margins. There is a base course, dentilled cornice at the ground level and at the eaves course. There is a central gabled stair tower at the rear and a pair of piended canted dormers on front.

The public house has painted timber pilasters, a fascia and stall risers. There are rusticated clasping pilasters at the corner. The central entrance has panelled timber two-leaf entrance doors with a fanlight above.

There are four-pane and plate glass sash and case style windows in the second and attic floors, and plate glass in the ground floor. The roofs have grey slate and raised skews. There is a brick chimney stack on the south gable.

Interior: (ground floor only seen in 2009). Interior of public house with some decorative cornicing.

Statement of Special Interest

A good, early 19th century classical tenement building with a distinctive late 19th century public house exterior. Externally the upper floors are relatively unchanged. At the rear is a turnpike stair tower to the upper floors, a traditional feature in early Scottish tenement architecture. Its corner site makes the building particularly prominent in the streetscape. The building is part of a group of early 19th century buildings on this main road.

North Methven Street itself was laid out in the 1790s but the majority of the buildings are thought to be of a later date. This building is depicted on the 1823 John Wood Map of the City of Perth, with a central pend. The ground floor was remodelled to a public house in the later 19th century, which is when this central pend may have been infilled.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh Resurvey in 2010.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2019. Previously listed as '33 North Methven Street'.

References

Bibliography

John Wood (1823) Map of the City of Perth.

Gifford, J. (2007) The Buildings of Scotland: Perth and Kinross, p.627.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

33 North Methven Street and 16A, 16B and 16C Foundry Lane, North Methven Street Elevation, looking east, during daytime.

Printed: 19/05/2024 02:03