Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-14 (INCLUSIVE NOS) MARSHALL PLACE AND 2 AND 4 NELSON STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB39552

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/05/1965
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11805 23139
Coordinates
311805, 723139

Description

Robert Reid, 1809-1832 (see Notes). Symmetrical, 31-bay terraced run comprising: advanced 3-storey, 5-bay section to centre; 2-storey, 10-bay attic and basement sections to left and right; advanced 3-storey, 3-storey, 3-bay outer pavilions to either end. Pale sandstone ashlar (part painted) with raised cills to ground; continous cill course to 1st floor; moulded cornice. Steps over-sailing basement to main door entrances.

Central section: recessed round-arched windows to ground (radial fanlights to doorways at outer bays of central section); consoled cornices to windows at 1st floor; central Diocletian lunette to 2nd floor; stepped blocking course above.

End pavilions with recessed round-arched windows to ground and central lunette windows at 2nd floor. Consoled windows to 1st floor (E pavilion only). Pyramidal roofs.

Predominantly 12-pane and plate glass glazing to timber sash and case windows. Tall and broad coped ridge stacks with clay cans. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Various canted dormers throughout run.

INTERIOR: Some properties with fine curving cantilevered staircases. Partially oval-plan form to some principal rooms with paired curved timber doors. Wide variety of plaster and marble chimneypieces, columned and consoled entrance halls and other Classical detailing dispersed throughout the run.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: rubble wall with ashlar coping fronting Marshall Place, some with cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group comprising: '1-3 (Inclusive Nos) King's Place and 1-3 (Inclusive Nos) King James Place and 55 and 57 King Street and Boundary Wall'; '4 and 5 King's Place'; '6 King's Place, Pedigree House'; 'Marshall Place, St Leonard's-in-the-Fields Church and Halls (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers'; '1-14 (Inclusive Nos) Marshall Place and 2 and 4 Nelson Street Including Boundary Walls And Railings'; '15-28 (Inclusive Nos) Marshall Place, 1 and 3 Nelson Street and 110 Scott Street Including Boundary Walls and Railings' and 'South Inch at Foot of King Street, Statue to Sir Walter Scott' (see separate listings).

One of a pair of consecutive monumental palace blocks, Nos 1-14 Marshall Place and its mirror counterpart at Nos 15-28 Marshall Place (see separate listing) present a significant portion of the South face of the city, bordering South Inch Park. Designed by eminent Classicist Robert Reid, the simple massing and compositional regularity and unity of the run survives broadly intact, contributing to the wider streetscape setting. The use of round-arched openings and lunette windows at central sections and outer pavilions provide visual focus, adding to the grouping.

Historically, Marshall Place was the starting point for an ambitious scheme for a 'Southern New Town' in Perth consisting of a gridiron plan of grand Georgian terraces along similar lines to master planner Robert Reid's Northern extension of Edinburgh's New Town including Drummond Place and Great King Street (see separate listings). The Marshall Place blocks, albeit in a scaled-down form, are the foremost representatives of the plan to reach fruition. The plans for Marshall Place were commissioned in 1801 although work did not begin until 1806 and was not completed until 1833 due to unfavouarable economic conditions and a series of legal and financial wranglings.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

shown half-built (E section) on John Wood's Map of 1823. Shown completed on Leslie's Directory Map (1837). Nick Haynes, RIAS ' Perth And Kinross, An Illustrated Guide (2000) p27. John Gifford, The Buildings Of Scotland -Perth And Kinross (2007) p265. Vivian Linacre, The Marshall Place Conspiracy (2008).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-14 (INCLUSIVE NOS) MARSHALL PLACE AND 2 AND 4 NELSON STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 14:05