Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

4 KINNOULL STREET AND 197 HIGH STREETLB39528

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
19/11/2010
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11661 23651
Coordinates
311661, 723651

Description

David Smart, dated 1900. 3-storey and attic, 3-x 3-bay Victorian Renaissance tenement, with canted single-bay corner, situated on prominent corner site. Red sandstone ashlar. Base course with inset basement lights some with prism glass (see Notes), cill course, band course, moulded cornice to ground, bracketed eaves cornice, balustraded parapet with decorative urns. Round-arched, key-stoned openings to ground, pedimented dormers. Windows to 1st storey set within Corinthian alternately pedimented and segmental-arched aedicules. Part-fluted giant Ionic pilasters rise through 1st and 2nd storeys. Some rusticated pilasters to ground.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: round-arched entrance doorway to corner with polished granite Ionic-columns to doorpiece with curved pediment with decorative tympanum with carved datestone 1900. Elevation to Kinnoull Street (E) with round-arched, pedimented doorway to far right with panelled timber entrance door.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Truncated polygonal spire to corner with iron brattishing and banded grey and green fishscale pattern slates.

INTERIOR: partially seen (2009). Entrance hall with part-glazed entrance door, with flanking timber panels. Hallway with coloured encaustic-tiled floor, well-staircase with stone stairs and timber barley-sugar balusters and timber banister. Some simple cornicing to rooms; some timber fire surrounds. Offices modernised at ground.

Statement of Special Interest

This well-detailed corner tenement is a significant addition to the streetscape of the centre of Perth city. The high quality decorative detailing expresses the wealth, power and solidity of the Royal Bank of Scotland, for whom the building was built.

Kinnoull Street as laid out in around 1823, but this section was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century with fine, well-detailed Victorian buildings such as this which reflected the growing wealth and confidence of Perth at the time.

Plans, dated 1899 in the Perth City archive indicate that this building and Nos 6-12 Kinnoull Street (see separate listing) were built for Royal Bank of Scotland.

Prismatic glass was first patented in the United States in 1897, and began to be used in Britain in 1898 to lighten basement areas, as it could direct natural light into dark areas in a focussed way. It was used in pavement lights, basement lights, as here and in shop stallrisers, as at no 10 Kinnoull Street (see separate listing).

David Smart (1824-1914) was a Perth based architect. In his early years, he worked in the office of David Bryce. David Smart designed a large number of buildings in the centre of Perth at the end of the 19th century.

Category changed from C(S) to B in 2010.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh Resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1900. John Gifford, Buildings of Scotland: Perth and Kinross, 2007, p624. Plans in the Perth City Archive DGP/1899/26.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4 KINNOULL STREET AND 197 HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:33