Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

14-16 (EVEN NOS) KINNOULL STREET (FORMER SANDEMAN LIBRARY)LB39334

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11655 23713
Coordinates
311655, 723713

Description

Campbell Douglas & Morrison, dated 1898. Freestyle former library comprising 2-storey and basement 6-x 3-bay corner section with clock tower and further 3-storey, 5-bay block to left (Kinnoull Street) and lower stepped bays to far left, (currently public house, 2009). Red ashlar with moulded architraves, rubble to rear. Base course, cill courses, eaves cornice. Blocking course with some balustrading. Square-plan ogee-roofed, balustraded clock tower breaks eaves to NE corner. Some key-stoned round-arched windows to ground.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: ELEVATION TO N (MILL STREET) : symmetrical. Oversailing steps lead to central round-arched key-stoned doorway with non-traditional timber swing doors and flanking Ionic pilasters. Window above with flanking Ionic pilasters and pediment above. Flanking 2-storey and basement canted bay windows.

ELEVATION TO E (KINNOULL STREET): asymmetrical. Off-centre to right, recessed 4-granite columned Ionic portico with steps leading to entrance on left. 2-leaf panelled timber entrance doors with carved decorative scroll above and semi-circular decorative fanlight above and carved lettering above SANDEMAN PUBLIC LIBRARY.

5-bay, 3-storey section to left with central pedimented carved date plaque with 1898 to 2nd storey. Top storey windows with balustraded balconies.

INTERIOR: (ground floor only seen, 2009). Converted to provide bar space, circa 2000. Good decorative scheme, including some decorative cornicing, decorative plasterwork to ceilings, Corinthian columns and timber panelling. Staircase with timber balusters and banister. Ornately carved niches behind bar counter.

Variety of glazing patterns set in timber windows, including 2-over 4-pane sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

This distinctive corner building is distinguished by its corner clock tower and good interior decorative features. The building is a significant addition to the streetscape of Perth city centre. The variety of exterior decoration adds to the building's architectural interest.

The Sandeman Public Library was built as a result of a bequest from Professor Archibald Sandeman of Queen's College, Cambridge who came from a Perth textile family. The library was moved to the current AK Bell Library in York Place in 1995 (see separate listing).

There was a growth of wealth and population in Perth in the mid to late 19th century and the town centre was partly remodelled. Buildings such as this, with grand entrances, distinguishing external features and fine interior detailing were a visual realisation of the city's pride and increasing prosperity.

Campbell Douglas & Morrison were a Glasgow-based architectural practice, working from around 1889-1901. Their work was constructed throughout Scotland, though primarily in the West.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1900. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007, p612. Dictionary of Scottish Architects at www.scottisharchitects.org (accessed 03-12-09).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14-16 (EVEN NOS) KINNOULL STREET (FORMER SANDEMAN LIBRARY)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:30