Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

YORK PLACE, A K BELL LIBRARY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO YORK PLACELB39323

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/05/1965
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11354 23454
Coordinates
311354, 723454

Description

WM Mackenzie, 1834-38 and Perth & Kinross Architectural Services Department, 1992-4. Large public library comprising 1834-8 former hospital with large 1994-6 extensions to E, W, and S.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 1836 section: 2-storey, 11-bay Classical former hospital with taller advanced, central 3-bays with projecting porte cochere and advanced taller single end bays. Ashlar, channelled to ground. Base course, band course with wreath motif, eaves course, dentilled cornice, parapet. Panelled aprons below upper storey windows; those to end bays also with pediments.

Central 3-bays with key-stoned round-arched porte cochere, round-arched window openings above with central niche. Scroll decoration with shell finial to parapet. Central panelled timber leaf entrance doors with fan-glazed semi-circular fanlight above.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with plaster vaulted ceiling and tiled floor. Remainder of building comprehensively modernised in 1992-94 to provide library space.

BOUNDARY WALL TO YORK PLACE (N): low, coped, channelled ashlar wall.

Statement of Special Interest

This is an important prominent and striking Classical building, situated on an elevated site in its own grounds and overlooking a principal road. Designed by a local architect, the building is distinguished by its fine Classical detailing and decoration and the building adds significantly to the streetscape. The porte cochere is a practical addition for former patients arriving at the hospital in inclement weather.

The Classical style was often used for public buildings in the 19th century as it was considered to convey a sense of order and stability. In a hospital building this would be particularly important. The late 20th century addition to the building also follows a Classical style, with channelling to the ground floor, wreath ornamentation and dentilling.

The building was designed and erected between 1834 and 1838, by the City Architect, William Mackenzie as the Perth County and City Infirmary. In 1914, a new hospital was opened in Perth and the building here was used in 1915 for wounded soldiers during the First World War. In 1920, it was bought by the Perthshire Education Authority and in 1930, Perth & Kinross Joint District Council used the building as their headquarters. In 1985, the Council moved to other offices and it was decided to use this building as the library. The building was extended and opened to the public in 1994.

William Macdonald Mackenzie (1797-1856) was the Perth City Architect for 30 years. He designed many buildings both in and around Perth.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1859-60. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007 p599. N Haynes, Perth & Kinross, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 200, p22. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org (accessed 03-12-09). Other information from library archivist.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to YORK PLACE, A K BELL LIBRARY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO YORK PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 06:18