Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PRINCES STREET, ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (EPISCOPAL) CHURCHLB39308

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
24/01/2019
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11953 23329
Coordinates
311953, 723329

Description

John, William Hardie and James Murdoch Hay of Liverpool, 1851 with additions by Andrew Granger Heiton, 1914 (see Notes). Greek cruciform, Mid-Pointed Gothic church with tower with octagonal stone spire to northwest at nave and transept re-entrant angle on prominent corner site. Stugged and squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Raised in-and-out quoins. Large traceried windows with hoodmoulds to north, east and west elevations.

Tower: angled buttresses and steeply stepped offsets; engaged octagonal turret to northeast angle; blind arcading beneath belfry stage; louvred bipartite openings to belfry; dogtoothed cornice; broached and lucarned spire; cast-iron cruciform finial.

West Elevation: timber pointed-arch door with hoodmould with shield-bearing angels forming stops. Later castellated porch at northwest re-entrant angle; inside, two-leaf timber entrance door to north side of nave with pelican and eagle carved stops to hoodmould.

Plain addition to northeast angle. Octagonal turret at southwest corner of south transept. Ground floor glass linking corridor to south accessing No 32-36 Princes Street (see LB39592).

Grey slate. Stepped skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Interior: impressive hammerbeamed and collar-braced timber ceiling with moulded corbel detailing. Carved stone pulpit; chancel arch; altar with altar railings; bishop's chair; eagle lectern; timber screen with vine frieze. Organ. Fine collection of 14th century style stained glass windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. St John the Baptist Episcopal Church is a good example of high Victorian Mid-Pointed Gothic by renowned practioners of the style, Hay and Hay of Liverpool. Characterised by its solid massing and substantial spire, the building occupies a prominent site toward the north end of Princes Street and is notable for the quality of its detailing and interior. The broadly English country treatment adopted here is unusual in Perthshire, adding to its distinctiveness. The wall of the northwest corner of the Greyfriars Burial Site (see separate listing) adjoins St Johns at the rear.

John William Hardie and James Murdoch Hay of Liverpool were prolific church builders influenced by the ecclesiastical architecture of Pugin and Sharpe. St Johns is unusual in that its plan form deviates from the traditional Ecclesiological arrangement with very broad and shallow nave and transepts creating an airy interior space, most likely a pragmatic response to the constraints of the site. The church is also notable for the quality of its interior scheme with its fine open timber roof. Other interior details of note include the elaborately carved Caen stone pulpit by Mary Grant. The Bishop's Chair is an early 19th century example. The chancel arch and altar rails were designed by local architect, Andrew Granger Heiton who also added the castellated porch to the northwest angle and the northeast addition in 1914. The altar was consecrated in 1929. The Eagle Lectern was presented by the Earl of Airlie in 1951 from the chapel at Cortachy Castle. A new organ was installed in 1857, and replaced in 1890. An organ, originally in the chapel of Selwyn College Cambridge, was installed in 1971. This organ was replaced by a Rodgers digital organ in 2013. The simple timber screen with vine frieze was added around 1925. The bell was originally from Killin Church. The Porch was reconstructed in 1951.

The site was bought in 1795 with a condition of the sale that 'a place of worship in which only the services of the Church of England should be performed, must be built upon this spot'. The Chapel built in that year was demolished in 1850 to make way for the present Church. The foundation stone was laid in September 1850 and the church was completed in June 1851 at a cost of £1,719 and consecrated by the Bishop of Edinburgh on October 22nd. Built to occupy a site between two earlier tenement buildings, the corner block to the north has been replaced by a carpark in more recent times.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

Description and Statement of Special Interest sections updated in 2019.

References

Bibliography

Shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1860).

The Scottish Episcopal Church Year Book and Directory (1998).

Gifford, J. (2007) The Buildings Of Scotland - Perth And Kinross, p.629.

Haynes, N. (2000) Guide To Perthshire. RIAS, p.25.

Willington, David. (2011) St John's Episcopal Church: The History of a Worshipping Community. London: Ashgrove Publishing.

St John the Baptist Scottish Episcopal Church, available www.episcopal-perth.org.uk [accessed 28.01.09].

Information provided by a member of the public (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRINCES STREET, ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (EPISCOPAL) CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 13:18