Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MILL STREET, NORTH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING FORMER CHURCH SESSION HOUSE TO REARLB39306

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11636 23711
Coordinates
311636, 723711

Description

T L Watson, 1880. Nave and aisle, Romanesque church with prominent, diaper-decorated central advanced pedimented basilica entrance bay and polygonal side apses. Ashlar with chanelled rustication to ground at street elevation. Base course, moulded band courses, corbelled cornice, parapet. Round-arched window openings to clerestory.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: ENTRANCE ELEVATION TO N: stairs lead to flat-roofed port-cochere type porch with round-arched doorway with Corinthian colonnettes and semicircular pattern carving above. Corner piers with inset panels with carved foliage designs and pilaster angle buttresses. Pedimented full height bay behind with central, 3 round-arched windows with Corinthian engaged columns. Diaper ornamentation to gable above and indented corbelling under parapet. Turreted clasping buttresses. Cross to apex. Flanking polygonal side apses with round-arched window openings and indented corbelled to cornice.

Rear (S) with round-arched window arcade to ground.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). 5-aisled bays with panelled timber, horseshoe gallery supported by cast-iron columns. Barrel vaulted ceiling. Round-arched arcades separate nave and aisles, carried on slender columns with foliate capitals. Domed vaults to aisles bays. Timber pews to aisles and gallery. Timber communion table, pulpit and organ case.

FORMER CHURCH SESSION HOUSE TO REAR (S): 2-storey, 3-bay Classical former Session House. Tooled sandstone with ashlar margins. Band course, cornice. Timber entrance door to East elevation with consoled cornice. Windows with side lights to both storeys at North elevation with blocking course above.

Interior: some decorative plasterwork cornicing, simple fire surrounds and timber shutters.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of Worship in use as such. This is an imposing, well-detailed church in an unusual Romanesque style with a particularly fine interior. The street elevation has intricate carved detailing which gives it a significant presence in this area of the town. The interior is notable for its fine timber horseshoe gallery and domed vaults to the side aisles.

The former session house to the rear is depicted on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1900 and is a good example of a little externally altered Classical church building.

Built originally as a United Presbyterian Church, this church replaced a previous one on the same site. It was originally to be in a Classical style but Thomas Lennox Watson won the competition with this design. The church was built to hold 1200 people and cost £7000. In 1887 an organ was installed and the choir positioned in front of pulpit. In 1900, the Union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church became the United Free Church and in 1929, this amalgamated with the Church of Scotland. The church is now Church of Scotland. The sanctuary was refurbished in 1980 and in 1985, the 1985 the church joined with St Leonard's Parish Church.

Thomas Lennox Watson (1850-1920) was a Glasgow architect whose main work appears mainly in Glasgow and the West of Scotland. His work includes other UP churches. He designed in a variety of styles.

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh Resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1900. K Thomson & J Haxton, Twelve Score Years and Ten in The North Church Perth, 1997. John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007 p583. N Haynes, Perth & Kinross, 2000 p29. Dictionary of Scottish Architects at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-11-09).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILL STREET, NORTH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING FORMER CHURCH SESSION HOUSE TO REAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 02:07