Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

251 HIGH STREETLB39301

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11524 23658
Coordinates
311524, 723658

Description

Late 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay Classical, symmetrical former Glasite meeting house with lower, recessed 2-storey entrance bay to right (currently dance studio, 2009). Roughly coursed sandstone with raised, smooth painted margins. Upper storey with 3 Venetian windows. Pair of panelled timber leaf doors with rectangular fanlights above.

Plaque on wall with 'THIS BUILDING WAS GLASITE MEETING HOUSE 1839-1929' (see Notes).

INTERIOR: (seen, 2009). Interior divided into dance studios and dressing rooms. Dog-leg stair with timber banister and decorative metal balusters. Timber flooring understood to be in situ.

Predominantly multi-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Gable stacks, raised skews.

Statement of Special Interest

Dating from the late 18th century, this former Glasite Meeting House is an important Classical style building and is also notable as one of the few surviving Glasite meeting houses. The three prominent Venetian windows to the upper storey and the retention of the roofscape and chimney stacks contribute to the building's significant streetscape presence. The building seems to have been occupied by the Glasites from 1839-1929, as the exterior plaque suggests, but the building is apparent on the John Wood Map of 1823, and it may be that it had an earlier purpose. The Glasites existed in Perth from around the mid 18th century.

The Glasites were one of the earliest seceders from the Church of Scotland and were founded by the Rev John Glas, a Perthshire minister around mid 18th century. Glasite Meeting houses were built in various towns in Scotland including Edinburgh, Dundee and Galashiels. The sect gradually diminished in numbers over the 20th century.

The Meeting house in Perth later became the Session House and halls for St Paul's Church, situated opposite (see separate listing). It is currently a dance studio (2009).

List description updated as part of Perth Burgh resurvey, 2010.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. John Wood Map of City of Perth, 1823. J E Macmillan, Know Your Perth, 1979, p39. John Gifford, Buildings of Scotland: Perth & Kinross, 2007 p622. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 251 HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 05:41