Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TWEED BRIDGELB39278

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
23/02/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Peebles
NGR
NT 25043 40305
Coordinates
325043, 640305

Description

Original portion medieval (15th century?); widened 1834, and again 1897-1900. Principal span of 5 segmental arches (each approx. 40 foot), slightly splayed at either end; 40' wide; to NE, ramp to Tweed Green, at right angle, of 5 round-headed arches; to S, railway bridge with Glengarnock steel beams. Faced with whinstone and cream sandstone dressings. Ashlar cutwaters to W merge with bull-faced extensions to E; earlier arches evident. Ashlar piers divide arches, with parapet

supported by dentil course. Cast-iron lamps with entwined dolphins stand on piers. Ashlar plaques on inner and outer sides of W parapet mark 1834 widening.

Statement of Special Interest

The oldest portion of the bridge probably dates to the mid 15th century, but may be older; it is largely obscured now. It was repaired during the 17th and 18th centuries, and widened to both sides by subscription in 1834; this increased the width from about 8' to 21', and was carried out by John and Thomas Smith of Darnick, at an estimated cost of $1,000. It was further doubled in width to the E between 1897 and 1900 by the Town Council, under the direction of

McTaggart, Cowan and Barker for approximately $8,000. The master mason responsible for work on the Tay Bridge, Perth, in the mid 15th century was known as John of Peebles, and it seems likely that he was involved in the building of the medieval bridge.

De-scheduled 23 February 1996.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY No 630. Charles Strang BERWICK AND BORDERS RIAS Guide (1994) pp233-4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TWEED BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 06:11