The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
1 AND 3 OLD TOWNLB39250
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority
- Scottish Borders
- NT 25007 40463
- 325007, 640463
1888. 3-storey L-plan offices with unified shop and cafe at ground on broad gusset site. Snecked and stugged cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. At ground, plain modern harled shopfront with large square shop windows. Angled corners corbelled out to curve above ground. Upper floors with raised margins with bracketed cills; cill course at 2nd floor; 2nd floor windows breaking eaves with gabled
dormerheads with ball finials. Regular fenestration.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay flanked by corner bays. 3 broad central bays above 5-bay shopfront - door at centre and left bay blank. Broad central bay with bipartite windows with moulded architraves; at 1st floor, with bolection frieze and cornice breaking over date shield 1888; at 2nd floor, round-headed and flanked by pilasters supporting ball finials and curvilinear gable with broad apex stack. Left corner bay with shouldered doorcase; 2-leaf door and rectangular plate glass fanlight at ground; right corner bay with shop window at ground.
N (OLD TOWN) ELEVATION: 3 3-storey bays to left. Shop door to right at ground; at 1st floor 2 left bays with bipartite windows. 3 2-storey bays to right; tripartite shop window to left and double doors to right leading to 1st floor; at 1st floor, bipartite central window.
S ELEVATION: 3 irregular bays; band course above ground (removed on other elevations). Right bay with partly blocked shouldered former shop window or door at ground, windows above; consoled wallhead stack to left. Left bays with variety of windows, those at 2nd floor hard under eaves. Later 2-storey 3-bay flat-roofed dry-dash store to left.
Timber sash and case windows; 4-pane with plate glass to bipartites. Piend and platform roof; grey slates; corniced ashlar stacks. Moulded cast-iron gutters.
INTERIOR: completely refitted at ground; upper floors unseen 1994.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.