James Miller, 1905-7. Large 3-storey and double attic symmetrical Queen Anne style hotel, additions to rear and sides. Cream harl; some squared and snecked red sandstone rubble to rear (surviving from earlier Starforth building, 1881, destroyed by fire, see NOTES). Deep dentilled eaves cornice.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 11-bay main block with 3-bay projecting pavilions; regular fenestration. Main block with central projecting gabled entrance bay, substantial square advanced porte-cochere with twinned Tuscan columns on panelled pedestals and semi-circular glass dome.
2 storeys with balustraded balconies and canted glazed bays above, keystoned bull's-eye window to gablehead. Flanking bays with projecting
segmental-arched loggia at ground floor carrying walkway at 1st floor (now glazed-in). Pavilions with 2-storey canted and glazed projections to outer bays, Venetian windows to centre and divided by embossed bronzed aprons. 2 tiers of pedimented attic dormers (except lower tier to main block).
W ELEVATION: rectangular-plan 2-storey 5-bay dining room annexe; tall wiwindows at 1st floor to S; blank canted projection to E. To N (REAR) 5-bay 3-storey sandstone block (only surviving part of former hotel) with 2-storey bowed projection to centre.
E ELEVATION: 10-bay. 2-storey 5-bay modern extension with glazed link.
INTERIOR: good period interiors. Most notably Bannockburn Room (only surviving interior from previous building) with panelled dado, Baronial plaster ceiling with pendants and impressive full-scale mural of Battle of Bannockburn (former Panorama exhibit, painted by Ernst Philipp Fleischer, circa 1888). Ball room to rear with elaborate plasterwork, Ionic pilasters and cartouche, segmental proscenium arc to stage and
barrel-vaulted ceiling with large multi-pane skylight. Dining room
with shallow pilaster to walls with volute capitals and deeply dentilled compartmentalised ceiling.
Broad axial terraced steps leading to lawns below hotel, with fountain and urns.
Originally multi-pane cross casement windows, now partially replaced. Steeply pitched rosemary tiled piend and platformed roof. Harled stacks.