1849. Charles Wilson, architect. Italianate. Single storey
basically square-plan school. Ashlar with base course.
East elevation 9-bay with central 3 bays advanced to form
open portico with round-headed arches. Outer bays have
round-headed windows similarly detailed, but with consoled
cills and recessed aprons. Continuous cornice; pediment over centre and parapets to sides. Side and rear elevations treated similarly but with windows in centre bays.
Additional doors or windows in centre bays of south and north elevations. West elevation obscured by later additions. Low slate roof with 4 corniced ventilators.
Central octagonal drum rises behind pediment, 4 balustraded facets, alternate with 4 abutments supporting stylised urns. Circular drum above carrying elongated flat-topped ribbed dome.
Interior: octagonal central hall with coupled Roman Doric pilasters carrying arches, 4 leading into vaulted corners and to classrooms; drum decorated with moulded panels and oculi, some blind, some glazed; ribbed dome above with moulded panels and blind oculi. Glazed oculus at crown.
Entrance Lodge: simplified Italianate. Single storey. Ashlar. Entrance front with outer blind bays and slightly advanced 3-bay, pedimented centre; door flanked by windows; elaborate arched bellcote at apex. Base course, impost moulding and eaves cornice encircle the building. All gables pedimented; additional arched windows in remaining elevations. Piended slate roof, central corniced stack. 4
square, corniced ashlar gatepiers and cast iron railings.