H J Blanc, architect, 1894. Cruciform with central
tower, nave and aisles, raised on undercroft. 1st and 2nd
pointed Gothic. Snecked rubble with ashlar dressing. South
front approached by broad flight of steps; gabled entrances
to undercroft at side of steps. 3 gabled porches, recessed
entrances with nook shafts and cusped bands to the doors,
paired to centre with carved tympanum Large 5-light traceried
windows and triple lancet above in south gable, flanked by
octagonal turrets. 5-bay nave and 2-bay transepts; 4-light
traceried windows to clerestory in each bay, separated
by flying buttresses. Transept gables have 5 light windows
as south front with 3 lancets below and small flanking
turrets. Various vestries and offices disposed symmetrically
around chancel. 3 lancets in north end. Slate roof. 3
stage central tower suoorting open crown: 1st blind; 2nd
buttressed to east and west with groups of 3 lancets;
3rd stage has 2 2-light belfry openings to each face. Angle pinnacles. Interior: nave with clustered piers supporting pointed
arches and clerestory Wooden coupled roofs to nave and
transepts, stencilled. Crossing and chancel stone-vaulted
with painted panels. Carving to capitals, spandrels, etc.
Furnishings: high-relief alabaster panels under north
window: marble pulpit with alabaster reliefs, designed
by Blanc, 1906. Deep marble font, behind Communion Table.
Brass and pewter lectern. All original light fittings.
Ancillary rooms round the ambulatory have stencilled walls
and elaborate oak fireplaces. Undercroft halls modernised.