Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

23 HIGH STREET, THE PAISLEY CENTRELB39014

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/03/1985
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48248 63989
Coordinates
248248, 663989

Description

Geo A Boswell, architect 1912. Art Deco. 3-storey, 5-bay facade of glazed variegated brick. Later alteration to ground floor but capitals of original coupled pilasters or columns flanking entrance remain. Cornice and frieze over ground floor. 1st floor has pylons to outer bays with pilasters rising to bracketed pediments. Blocking course over; Centre bays have keystoned windows with oculi over and pilasters between, supporting entablature with mutule cornice. Parapet with moulded decorative panels.

INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Auditorium demolished and large shopping centre currently situated behind façade.

Statement of Special Interest

This striking entrance elevation on the High Street forms a significant feature in the streetscape. The building was formerly the Picture House which opened in 1912. It became a Bingo Hall in the 1960s and finally closed in the 1980s. The auditorium was demolished in the late 1980s and a shopping centre was erected. The original interior was in a rich Art Deco Classical style with columns with gilded capitals. Decoration also included gilded consoles and pilasters as well as rich floral gilded friezes and mouldings to the ceilings.

Interior, Notes and References updated as part of the Cinema Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Strathclyde Archives TD 655/2/16: copy of drawing of Proscenium signed and later used by Guthrie and Wells, interior decorators. Other information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 31-12-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 23 HIGH STREET, THE PAISLEY CENTRE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:28