Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

HAWKHEAD ROAD, HAWKHEAD HOSPITAL, ADMINISTRATION BLOCK, FORMER NURSES HOME, WARDS 1-5, BOILER HOUSE AND MORTUARY, LAUNDRY BLOCK, PORTER'S LODGE, WAITING ROOM AND COTTAGESLB39010

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/03/1985
Last Date Amended
19/06/1991
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 50221 62691
Coordinates
250221, 662691

Description

T S Tait, designed 1933. Flat roofed brick and dry-dash (formerly smooth rendered) blocks. Steel-framed windows, many now removed.

Administration block facing W with 6 ward pavilions behind, (Ward 6 not listed) former Nurses' Home to SW of site, to N from W, gate lodge, staff cottages, laundry and boiler house and wards 7 and 8, the former cubicle isolation block.

ADMINISTRATION BLOCK: 2-storey, T-plan block with later alterations at rear, marred by modern glazing.

PRINCIPAL (W) ELEVATION:l 2-storey, 11-bay centre block with single storey bowed wings. Tripartite doorway with central entrance divided from glazed side panels by black tiled piers with central yellow stripe running from head height to top, which continue through canopy almost to cope level. Flanking brick piers supporting cantilevered concrete canopy, continued above. Tripartite window above doorway with semi-balcony between brick piers. Band of blue tiles below concrete cope. Returns handed, chimney stacks removed. Top of bow treated as balcony, continued on return by cantilevered concrete canopy with tubular steel railings. Below canopy, entrance bay with large window with blue tile panel at angle with doorway to rear and small single window in re-entrant. Access to balcony on upper floor from door inside with blue tiled pillar on angle, and forward facing windows

REAR ELEVATION: rear wing 7x3 bay, marred by later additions and alterations.

FORMER NURSES' HOME: symmetrical, 2-storey, flat roofed block. Notable 1930s features with use of tile work and continuous glazed bows.

S ELEVATION: depressed central 11-bay range, ground floor advanced with blue and green tiled base course, terminated by single storey projecting lounges with continuous-glazed bow resting in brick base course, cantilevered canopy and roof terrace with solid parapet. 1st floor with balcony formed by roof of advanced and canoped, with blue-tiled piers, breaking coping at base, dividing tripartite windows. Outer 5-bay range terminated by slightly advanced plain brick bay, with similarly treated returns.

N ELEVATION: 19-bay, austere block with recessed terminal stair towers, marred by replacement glazing. Wide cantilevered canopy above entrance, recessed tripartite entrance bay with central doorway flanked by blue-tiled piers breaking through canopy with concrete coping, and glazed outer bays, flanked by brick piers to fan-light cill level. Tripartite window to 1st floor with broad brick piers. Tall stair window to right, single windows to left with further small single windows beyond, corresponding bay to right is plain. Flanking 2 bays comprise paired tripartite windows with a further 6 single windows completing elevation. Recessed stair tower with doorway at ground floor and small single window at 1st floor.

WARDS 1-5: 6 single storey, T-plan, ward pavilions ranged on N-S axes to rear of administration block. (Ward 6 not listed). Marred by removal of verandah canopies on S elevations.

WARD 1: former pneumonia pavilion, situated immediately to rear of administration block.

E ELEVATION: 15-bay ward pavilion, with advanced entrance block. Canopied, recessed, 2-leaf door, flanked by yellow-tiled piers to fanlight level, with concrete coping, and long 4-light windows to either side with yellow-tiled dividing piers. Windows adjoin doorway in broad tiled panel, concrete cill extends through panel, terminating at door pier. Depressed roof at centre. Block extends at right with blank wall. 6 single windows in outer bays. Exposed brick sun lounges on returns with wrap-around glazing.

W ELEVATION: cantilevered canopy across windows removed. Centre marked by twin projecting sanitary annexes flanking centre bay comprising tripartite window with advanced brick piers breaking through lintel with concrete coping. Centre 3 bays with brick base course. Outer 6 bays comprise 5 windows with door in end bay.

WARD 2: former diphtheria pavilion, situated to rear of ward 1, smaller version of ward 1, with shorter wards. Sun lounges on returns as on ward 1.

E ELEVATION: 11-bay ward pavilion with advanced entrance block. 4 single windows in outer bays. (See ward 1 above).

W ELEVATION: cantilevered canopy removed. Outer bays comprise 3 windows with door in 4th bay.

WARDS 3 AND 5: former measles and whooping cough pavilions. Identical. Sun lounges on returns.

E ELEVATION: identical to ward 2.

W ELEVATION: 11-bay ward pavilion. Cantilevered canopy removed. Tripartite window at centre with blue-tiled dividing piers, flanked by 4 windows and a door on outer bay.

WARD 4: former scarlet fever pavilion. Identical to ward 1.

BOILER HOUSE AND MORTUARY: single-storey. T-plan block with square brick chimney to rear. Original metal-framed windows survive.

S ELEVATION: mortuary to left with stained glass circular window, and separate arched 2-leaf doorway on return.

CHIMNEY: square-section tapering yellow brick, with flared red brick top. On E and W staggered. Clasping shallow buttresses with concrete copes. Later banding towards base and at top,

LAUNDRY BLOCK: single block on gently sloping site. Long ridge ventilator over central section. Original metal-framed windows survive.

S ELEVATION: centre 9-bay advanced, symmetrical block with small single windows flanking central, recessed 7 bays with large windows divided by brick piers. Central block flanked by 4-bay wings with asymmetrical fenestration comprising 3 broad windows with a single square window on outer flank. Wing to W lower. Low, recessed, entrance bay to each end with 3 small windows on returns and canopy roof.

PORTER'S LODGE AND WAITING ROOM: asymmetrical flat roofed gate lodge on gently sloping site, comprising 2-storey main block with single storey wing containing waiting room to rear. Brick base course on main block and curtain walls with prominent horizontal pointing. Small ventilation grills above 1st floor lintel level on main block.

W ELEVATION: 2-bay, with canopied door at far right flanked by shallow brick screen on inside, small single window on g round floor at far left. Stair window to left carried over in bipartite landing window on 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: single bay, 2-storey block flanked by 3-bay single storey wing. Brick base-course to main block extended to left in curtain wall, capped by unusual tubular steel, art-deco railings. Tripartite window at ground floor and at 1st floor, bipartite angle window to right with blue tiled corner pier. Wing comprises tripartite part-glazed porch with central door, later glazing inserted: 3 dividing pillars, blue tiled with yellow tiled heads. Flat roof over-sailing to form canopy. Terrace to front of porch reached by steps to left with brick facing wall formerly capped by similar art-deco railings, now replaced by modern rails and ramp added in front.

COTTAGES: 4 cottages built for male staff, in symmetrical block, comprising central 2-storey, square semi-detached cottages flanked by 2 single storey cottages in projecting wings. Coped chimney stacks on central block.

S ELEVATION: central 2-storey block with low pitch piended roof and central squat chimney stack, centred pair of windows to ground at 1st floor with small ventilation grill above 1st floor windows and canopied doors in re-entrant. Flat roofed, single storey cottages with central canopied door with shallow brick screen on outer flank. Doorway flanked by single windows with ventilation grill above.

SIDE ELEVATION: handed, central block 2 windows to rear side and advanced chimney stack to front side, breaking through cope. Wings have single window to rear side.

Statement of Special Interest

Paisley Burgh Council acquired the site on the Hawkhead estate for the new infectious diseases hopital in 1932. A competition was held for the design which was awarded to Sir John Burnet, Tait and Lorne. In 1933, the firm's Royal Masonic Hospital at Ravenscourt in London was newly completed, to international acclaim. Tait further explored this style at Hawkhead and included this pioneering cubicle isolation block, a new development in ward design in which different types of infectious disease could be treated within the same ward for the first time. The Hospital was officially opened on 7 July 1936, and provided 181 beds for patients together with staff accommodation. The external finish to the buildings was originally "Brizolit", a finer textured rough cast designed not to crack or craze. Photographs of the buildings published in the booklet to accompany the official opening show that the blocks were bright and white originally, this was set off by the turqoise, green, yellow and black tile-work.

References

Bibliography

Architect and Building News 24.2.1933 p265. Official opening booklet. Paisley. 1936.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HAWKHEAD ROAD, HAWKHEAD HOSPITAL, ADMINISTRATION BLOCK, FORMER NURSES HOME, WARDS 1-5, BOILER HOUSE AND MORTUARY, LAUNDRY BLOCK, PORTER'S LODGE, WAITING ROOM AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 11:28