Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

COUNTY SQUARE, HEAD POST OFFICELB38952

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/03/1985
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48289 64174
Coordinates
248289, 664174

Description

1893 and later. W W Robertson, architect. Board of Works. 2 storey, 10-bay range in Tudor Gothic style: 3-storey and attic to south in Art Nouveau style dated 1912. W T Oldrieve, architect Office of Works. Ashlar. 2-storey range has 8 symmetrical bays with mullioned and transomed windows set in panels to each floor; 2 pairs of lights at ground 3-lights to 1st floor in each bay. Fretted parapet band over ground floor. Eaves cornice and battlemented parapet with pinnacles, raised over 2 centre bays for clockface.

2 bays at right under finialled gable with facetted angle turret, door has ogival 2 transomed tympanum and 2 light window to right. Carved 1st floor windows hoodmoulded. Return elevation similarly detailed but

modern, flat-headed pend to ground. Slate roof with triple end stack to rear gable.

1912 extension 3-storey and attic block with 3 bays to County Square, 1

splayed corner bay and 4 bays to County Place, alternately wide and narrow. Former main entrance to corner with moulded and carved segmentally headed doorway. Another segmentally headed doorway to end bay County Place. Variety of mullioned and transomed windows. Canted oriels rising 2 floors, 1 to County Square. Parapet raised over splayed bay and gables to oriel bays. Return to County Place has similarly detailed 1st and 2nd floor windows and 2 gabletted dormers raised through eaves. Tall wallhead panelled stack, dated 1912; to west bay with "cap house" detail.

Slate roof with straight skews except to crowstepped cap house.

Statement of Special Interest

The 7 bays to the right are the earliest.

References

Bibliography

Information from David Walker.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COUNTY SQUARE, HEAD POST OFFICE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/02/2020 02:37