Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ANCHOR MILLS, MILE END MILLLB38917

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
27/06/1980
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 49145 63685
Coordinates
249145, 663685

Description

W J Morley of Bradford, architect, 1899-1900. 5-storey and basement, 18 bays with tower at each end. Brick end bays pilastered each floor. All windows simple 6-paned rectangles except to end bays of 4th floor where there are pairs to round-arched windows. Cill band to each floor. Eaves cornice and terracotta fretted balustrade. Tower to west has round-headed windows each floor above blind ground; that to 4th moulded with keystone and impost moulding. Angle pilasters with band between each floor between each floor, but continuous band came only to 4th floor. Cornice and balustrade over, then pyramidal slate roof with transomed and mullioned square lantern with curved copper cap. East

tower similar but window also to ground and additional stage over 4th; with angle pilasters and 3 round-headed windows. Cornice over balustrade with urns on dies at angles. Above is octagonal cupola with 1 round arched window to each floor. Cornice over and facetted domed copper cap. Fireproof interior has cast-iron columns with steel beams carrying concrete filler joist construction.

References

Bibliography

John Hume, INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND 1976, Vol 1 p217

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ANCHOR MILLS, MILE END MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 13:34