Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LAW ROAD, OLD PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD WALLS AND MONUMENTSLB38749

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/02/1971
Date Removed:
06/09/2016
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
North Berwick
NGR
NT 55342 85229
Coordinates
355342, 685229

Removal Reason

Dual designation

Description

1664. Rectangular roofless church with central western tower of later 18th century. Large roughly squared Law stone rubble with grey ashlar dressings to later work. Plain skews and run-off skewputs.

N SIDE: symmetrical. Aisle now gone. Arched windows flanking with small windows at ground and below eaved to outer bays.

S SIDE: low projecting remains to E and S of former Session House abutting W end. Gable line of former vestry visible at centre with blocked doorway below and arched, voussoired windows flanking. 2 small windows in end bay to E.

E GABLE: formerly abutted by vestibule and stairway block; currently only central doorways at ground and gallery level.

W TOWER: 3-stage tower. Doorway in S side by re-entrant angle. Small arched windows to all stages at W, and top stages to S, E and N. Moulded eaves cornice. Slated bell-cast roof with lead flashings.

INTERIOR: deep window embrasures. W gable with blocked pre-tower windows and wooden lintelled doorway below. Polished granite and other wall plaques, some post World War II.

GRAVEYARD: Rubble boundary wall; low at S, highest at E. Includes early 18th century table slab on 6 squared baluster legs to John Crawford of Coldingham and family. Mid 19th classical century monument composed of 4 aedicules, moulded plinth above bearing pedestal and obelisk; statue missing. Several late 17th century or early 18th century interior decorative mural monuments.

Statement of Special Interest

Building began 1659 (Session Records). Cost £200. Seated 500 with galleries and loft. Additions resemble Prestonkirk Parish Church. Kirk Ports to N gave throughfare to protect graveyard. W E Lockhart painting of church interior in late 1870s, at burgh museum. Church replaced in 1882 by High Street. St Andrews Church, listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Inventory of East Lothian. 102. D B Swan. The Auld Kirks of North Berwick. W Ferrier. The Last Hundred Years 1983 p 3-4. North Berwick in Old Picture Postcards.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LAW ROAD, OLD PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD WALLS AND MONUMENTS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:07