Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

50-54 (EVEN NOS) HIGH STREETLB38745

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/05/1988
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
North Berwick
NGR
NT 55318 85317
Coordinates
355318, 685317

Description

W J Walker Todd. 1933. 3-storey, symmetrical 7-bay, quasi-classical police station with 3rd storey breaking eaves, formerly combined with police houses. Harled, with droved ashlar base course, 1st floor cill course and door bays.

S front: symmetrical; 3 central bays flanked by entrance bays. Wide, roll-moulded door surrounds with pulvinated frieze and cornice; moulded and lugged windows with flanking scrolls above. Outer bays with paired windows at ground and narrower at 1st floor. Simple, substantial cornice below 2nd floor parapet. 2nd floor windows breaking eaves with piended dormer-heads.

N ELEVATION (REAR): asymmetrical openings of varied size. Projecting stairblock off-centre. Gabled single storey projecting outbuilding to right.

Small-pane sash windows. Slated piended roof with single central, and end stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Set back from main High Street fronts. Building costs ?5,829. Bronze plaque above left-hand doorway, denoting County Police premises. Former police houses in Victoria Road were sold in 1933 to Blackadder Church and converted to their hall.

References

Bibliography

Skinner, B. TRANSACTIONS OF EAST LOTHIAN ANTIQUARIAN AND FIELD NATURALIST SOCIETY vol 12 pp 15-21. The Police Force of East Lothian.

Drawings at Dick Peddie and McKay, Edinburgh.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 50-54 (EVEN NOS) HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:58