Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLIFFORD ROAD, KING'S KNOLLLB38706

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/05/1988
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
North Berwick
NGR
NT 55005 85034
Coordinates
355005, 685034

Description

Peddie and Washington Browne, 1898. Single-storey and attic, Tudor style house with washroom to E and further addition by R S Lorimer 1906. Red sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings and harling.

S (MAIN) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; paired mullioned and transomed windows at centre with small high tripartite to right and to left moulded, depressed arched doorway in corniced ashlar panel; panelled double doors. Full-height gabled outer bays, larger to left and harled above ground with applied timber details. 3 bipartite gabled dormers at centre. Tall corniced brick stack in re-entrant angle to left. Lower block to E with irregular openings and harled above cill course. Former courtyard to E. 2-bay cottage adjoining (1906).

N (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3 bold gabled bays; central, mullioned and transomed tripartite at ground. Canted 4-light bay clasping corner to right with leaded balcony bearing fleur-de-lys motifs. 6-light, corniced window above and small 4-light row in gable head. Similarly detailed bay to left with side oval window in attic, canted bay to right. Lower harled laundry block to left with Diocletion window and coped parapet raised at corners; ventilator at centre of piend roof.

Unfortunate modern extensions to W (1963). Variety of glazing patterns, plate glass, leaded and small-pane. Red plain tiled roof, sweeping eaves with timber bracket supports. Moulded brick stacks with triplet of diamond stacks at centre.

INTERIOR: much converted for Old People?s Home. Timber stair and panelling retained, with some beamed ceilings and plasterwork.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed Category B for historical associations. Commissioned by Dr G A Berry, opthalmic surgeon, Edinburgh. King Edward and Prince and Princess of Saxe-Weimar visited 1902 when name changed from ?The Knoll?. Conservatory added 1901 since removed. Simple Motor-house, R S Lorimer (1906).

References

Bibliography

North Berwick Dean of Guild drawings. W Ferrier. The North Berwick Story 1981 p 77.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLIFFORD ROAD, KING'S KNOLL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:33