John Henderson of Edinburgh, architect, 1834. Classical, symmetrical school incorporating to N older gabled Free School building. 1834 building rectangular plan, single storey and basement with central tower feature, 7 x 3 bays on raised podium. Polished red ashlar to front elevation and details, otherwise squared whinstone rubble.
Main S elevation: raised and projecting podium with steps to each end. Symmetrical 7-bay elevation with wide strip pilasters dividing bays. Central doorway with recessed panelled door with fanlight and pilastered reveals. All windows single light, aproned and with elaborate margined glazing.
Eaves cornice, blocking course, parapet with intermediate die piers, to centre linked by arcaded balustrade. Piended and platformed slate and lead roof.
Tower feature with pilasters at angles rising to die piers, to S inscribed panel below clockface with block pediment over.
To N former Free School, early 19th century, 2-storey and attic with single light windows, sash and case with 4-pane glazing. Rubble with polished red sandstone margins and quoins. To ground, 2 depressed-arch cart archs, now partly blocked with windows inserted.
Statement of Special Interest
The school was endowed by Samuel Douglas of Jamaica who died in 1799, After some delay, the NSA explains, "The Trustees built an excellent house at the north end of Newton Stewart, agreeably to a plan furnished by John Henderson, ESq, architect, Edinburgh on a piece of ground extending to 3 acres; presented to them by the Earl of Galloway, when Lord Garlies".