All probably by James Smith. 1718-20 church and west wing
with vestry (latter built as Ducal Withdrawing Rooms and
session house) with square tower above, adjoining circa 1708
Queensberry mausoleum; latter houses "Queensberry marbles".
Church and mausoleum arranged in Greek-cross plan, wing and
tower to west. Mausoleum built of polished ashlar; remainder rubble-built with pink ashlar dressings, channelled quoins
and continuous moulded cornice. Re-roofed in simplified form
by Andrew Watson, joiner 1784-5 and again re-roofed 1957.
Mausoleum: adjoins north wall of church; square-plan;
polished ashlar with bell-cast leaded roof; altered circa
1711 - shallow outshot on north wall (replacing flamboyant
traceried window) to accomodate marble sepulchral mural
monument by John Van Nost, and square-headed window slapped
in east and west walls (former now a door); Queensberry vault
below elaborate white marble baldacchino (also by Smith) on 4 barley-sugar columns. Church: (1699 sundial on jam is re-set)
windows mostly round-headed, in bolection-moulded
architraves; small-paned glazing (not original); rusticated square-headed doorway to east and to south, each linked with
gallery window cill; interior: (renovated 1784-5 and
re-arranged circa 1870) separated from mausoleum by wide
segmental arch with elaborate wrought-iron gates; pulpit
with back board now placed against these; boxed communion
pews; 3 galleries, each with panelled front and 2 supporting
columns; west gallery also by Andrew Watson. West wing: (at
present, part disused, part used as vestry, part as Sunday
School - possibly never completed. 2 storeys;
rectangular-plan; long west wall 3 bays with central door;
4-bay flanks with close-spaced windows. Door in
bolection-moulded and lugged architrave, with dentilled
cornice and round-headed window above; other windows all
square-headed, and linked between floors by shallow aprons.
Each face of tower has blind oculus (originally with
small-paned glazing) to lower stage; louvered, Y-traceried
and round-headed belfry opening to upper stage, cornice, and
low parapet (spire removed 1825).
Interior: stone scale and platt stair, with curved nosings,
on west wall beside main door; vaulted passage at foot of
tower (now housing boiler) with original entry to church now
blocked; wheel stair to tower entered in base of north west
angle; some bolection-moulded fireplaces (flues in steeple).
Churchyard: some fine 17th-19th century stone monuments,
many with classical ornament; martyr's monuments (to Daniel
MacMichael) and 1685 monument to children of William Lukup,
Master of Works at Drumlanrig.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Roof of south jam of
church originally identical to that of mausoleum, ie
bell-cast and leaded; body of church originally had "a
pavilion roof (with) plates of lead alongst the peens" (ie
angles); steeple which was "about 90' high beside the rod
that carries the weather-cock" was leaded and windowed; it
was removed 1825 following storm damage. No direct reference
in presbytery minutes to building of church, but there is a
gap in the minutes 2.1.1717-2.12.1719.
Pulpit originally on east corner of junction between body of
church and jam; area before mausoleum originally open. NRA(S)
1275 includes accounts ".... charge and discharge 1717-8
including building church at Durisdeer," etc.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.