Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TOWN HOUSE HIGH STREETLB38506

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/06/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Newburgh
NGR
NO 23527 18283
Coordinates
323527, 718283

Description

John Speed (Newburgh) 1808. 2-storey ashlar fronted classic, centre tower projects with arched tripartite doorpiece, plain Venetian above, broached to octagonal belfry stage with crenellated parapet and spire; 1-window either side, steps and balustraded front area Victorian. Low 2-storey former corn exchange building at back added 1830.

Statement of Special Interest

Speed's drawings were probably slightly simplified in execution See minutes 8th Feb. 1808. "A petition was laid before them from John Speed mason in Newburgh praying the Council to allow him Five Pounds for the plan of the Town House as the same had been approved and another tradesman appointed to execute it ... It was moved how far it would be

proper to make any alterations upon the plan in point of economy or saving expenses which being considered it was agreed to do so accordingly".

References

Bibliography

NSA v 9 p71. On 7 August 1806 the Town Council instructed a plan to be made by a 'man of science' (evidently Speed) but on 14 Dec 1807 a plan of a Town House made out by David Hewet mason was submitted. This was remitted to Speed to know if he could make "any alterations or improvements upon it to be afterwards laid before the Council for their consideration and the Council allow John Speed one guinea for doing this and for his trouble in making out a plan some time ago." 1st Feb 1808

"a plan ... made out by John Speed mason, Newburgh was laid before them; it was agreed to adopt the said plan and work it by day's wages".

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TOWN HOUSE HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/09/2019 09:35