Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9 AND 11 BOW BUTTS, BURNESS HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB38226

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
11/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
30/03/1999
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Montrose
NGR
NO 71530 57621
Coordinates
371530, 757621

Description

Early 19th century with later addition. 3-storey, 3-bay house with later adjoining 2-bay house now forming single property. Lined render to front, sandstone rubble to side, full length 19th century additions to rear. Plain margins.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 11: symmetrical. Corniced doorpiece to centre, rectangular fanlight, panelled door. Windows flanking, smaller windows centred above at 1st and 2nd floors, those at 2nd floor with heads set close under eaves.

No 9: window to centre at ground, door to left, window at 1st and 2nd floors, additional window off-set to right at 2nd floor, heads closely set under eaves.

SE ELEVATION: single bay gable end, windows off-set to right.

NW ELEVATION: adjoining 63 Baltic Street.

NE ELEVATION: single storey, irregular fenestration.

Timber sash and case windows, plate glass, some boarded. Brick gablehead stack to SE, mutual stack.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: to street elevation. Coped, coursed boundary wall with pair of square-plan, corniced and capped gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a relatively little altered early 19th century residential property which retains its urban setting. It is situated close to the entrance of Montrose and is particularly of interest as it retains its boundary wall and gatepiers to the street. It is shown on the 1822 John Wood Map of Montrose as being the property of James Burness.

List description updated, 2011.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, Plan of Town of Montrose, (1822). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1861-2).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9 AND 11 BOW BUTTS, BURNESS HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 07:29