Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MELROSE ABBEYLB37726

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/03/1971
Date Removed:
03/08/2017
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Melrose
NGR
NT 54848 34177
Coordinates
354848, 634177

Removal Reason

The significance of this building continues to recognised as a scheduled monument (see SM90214).

Description

Although founded in the 12th century and repaired or rebuilt in the 14th century most of the surviving work dates to the 15th century; ie Choir, Transepts, South nave wall and part of the North nave wall. The choir survives upto and including the vault but the pointed barrel vault of the nave and massive north and south walls which overlay the mediaeval

nave walls remain from the Parish Church built in 1618 and replaced by the new church in 1810. The remainder of the nave and claustral buildings survive only as foundations.

Statement of Special Interest

Guardianship Monument Cistercian Abbey founded by David I in 1136. Burnt in 1322 and 1385 and finally in 1545. The Post-Reformation church of 1618 was partially removed in the restoration of 1822 by J Smith of Darnick under the superintendence of Walter Scott and paid for by the Duke of Buccleuch. A Group.

Scheduled Area - 10 November 1998.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient Monuments of Scotland ROXBURGHSHIRE,

ii 265-91.

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Melrose Abbey and Precinct

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/melrose-abbey

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Melrose AbbeySM90214

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated
  2. MELROSE ABBEY 'THE CLOISTERS'LB37730

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (C)
    Status
    Designated
  3. ABBEY STREET, ABBEY HOUSELB37733

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated
  4. MELROSE ABBEY DOOCOT AND BYRE RANGE ADJOININGLB37727

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated
  5. MELROSE ABBEY FORMER BREWERY WAREHOUSE NOW STORELB37728

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (C)
    Status
    Designated
  6. Commendator's House, Melrose Abbey Precinct, MelroseLB37729

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MELROSE ABBEY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/10/2019 19:07