1851 (northern 6 bays) and 1860-70 (southern 4 bays including
harbour master's office and return elevation to Commerce
Long E facing range (to harbour) 3-storey, 10-bay, returning
with bowed angle, and single gable bay to Commerce Street.
Rubble, tooled ashlar and tooled rubble dressings. Blocked
entrance (now window) in bowed angle; corniced entrance with
flanking windows, mural barometer recess and regular
Warehouse ranges extend continuous with, and to N of, harbour
master's office (now incorporating Fisheries Museum). 9
segmental-headed ground floor entranes, some flanked by
shallow circular mural recesses for lifebelts (1860-70) and
those to northern bays with narrow shuttered windows (1851).
All with double-leaf plank doors except that at extreme N end
which is blocked.
Regular fenestration, low in 2nd floor, breaking wallhead as
gabletted dormers above harbour master's office. Corrugated
asbestos roof to N 6 bays; slightly higher slated roof with 2
coped ridge stacks at S 4 bays.
At rear 4 rubble forestairs serve 1st and 2nd floors,
oversailing ground floor and some 1st floor doorways as
Low single storey extension at N with corrugated asbestos
Statement of Special Interest
Harbour at Stotfield Point, Branderburgh, constructed 1837-9, superseding the earlier harbour fronting Clifton Road,
Lossiemouth. The earlier portion of the warehouse range
originally included stable accommodation. This block shows up
on George McWilliam's plan of Branderburgh, 1855 but not
the range which includes the harbour master's office which
appears on the 1st ed. OS 1870.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88.