Opened 1842 by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, probably designed by John Miller, engineer to the line, extended, probably in 1870s to ER. Interior recast 1986, canopy added at street level, and platform frontage of extension replaced with diagonal boarding.
ORIGINAL BLOCK: 2-storey, 3-bay; snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and raised margins. Entrance at ground level, platform at upper level.
REAR ELEVATION: 3 irregularly spaced windows at ground and 1st floor. 1 bipartite at ground floor to left, all 4-pane sash and case windows. Wallhead chimney (now truncated).
W ELEVATION: entrnace on left with window to right, 2 stair windows, 1 midway between ground and 1st floor, bipartite at 1st floor to right; wallhead chimney with plain blocked cornice.
PLATFORM ELEVATION: 2-bay, gabled bay to left with tall bipartite window with recent 8-pane fixed glazing. Moulded skews, block skewputts, truncated gable-head stack. Slightly recessed bay to right with platform exit on E front, window with 12-pane fixed glazing on platform front. Piended roof except for platform gable. Large stack on E wallhead.
LATER BLOCK: 2-storey with 6-bay rear and 4-bay platform elevations, forming L-plan with original block. Coursed rubble with raised margins on rear and E elevations.
REAR LEVATION: door to right, 2 windows to left, bipartite to outer right, 6 irregularly spaced windows to 1st floor, door to right, 4-pane sash and case throughout.
PLATFORM ELEVATION: E wall M-gabled with N gable forming screen wall to coverted areas; double pitch awning supported on 4 cast-iron columns with a bracket attached to original building. Columns have 4 (3 on E end) curved brackets, with floreated filigree work in spandrels. Circular section, with octagonal moulded bases and capitals. Glazed S slope of roof timber framed, supported on steel joists. Globe lamps recent. E end of S roof has skylight and roof-ridgfe ventilator for gents' lavatory (now disused); 3 irregularly placed ridge stacks.