Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

9-17 AND 19-21 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREETLB37382

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/05/1990
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Burgh
Linlithgow
NGR
NT 00428 77106
Coordinates
300428, 677106

Description

1886. 3-storey, 9-bay Baronial tenement, falmboyant skyline, incorporating hotel and shops at ground. Cream sandstone coursers, ashlar dressings. Base and cill courses at 1st and 2nd, cornice.

Single and bipartite windows with moulded reveals, ashlar mullions.

Nos 9 to 17:

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay, 3 shops divided by fanlit doors to tenement. Tripartite arrangement to each shop, chamfered and moulded surrounds. Centre bay, corbelled and corniced bipartite window at 1st, bipartite dormerhead above with curvilinear gable, blind oculus to gable, skewputts, surmounted by urn finial. Flanking semi-circular pedimented windows widely spaced at 1st, lozenge pattern in tympanum to left, (right badly weathered); gabled dormerheads above. Outer bay to right (mirror image to left) bipartite window at 1st, bipartite dormerhead above with corbelled, crowstepped gable, date stone '1886', (initials CM to left gable), ball finial and tall corbelled stack breaking skew at wallhead.

Nos 19, 21: former hotel at corner of High Street and St Michael's Wynd.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-bay, public entrance in chamfered corner to right. 5-bay at ground, central fanlit door to tenement, flanking windows with cast-iron guards; window to each bay at 1st; gabled bays at centre, breaking eaves at 2nd floor where divided by corbelled gablehead stack; windows with gabled dormerheads, finials, curved and moulded gable to right, lozenge pattern in tympanum to left gable. Chamfered corner; corbelled and squared above door at 1st; corbelled circular bratizan above, with fluted panel at base, blind arrow-loop windows, corbelled eaves course, slated conical roof lead finial.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled 3-bay facade, irregularly spaced fenestration; crowstepped gables to outer bays. Plate glass lower, multi-pane upperin sash and case windows; 2-pane upper to ground floor windows in N face of hotel. Grey slate roof, sandstone corniced gagle and mutual stacks. Original rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Hotel no longer in use as such. Situated on the corner of High Street and St Michaels Wynd. Shop front at centre and left, original arrangement. The Mint a 15th century residence for the knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem whose Scottish headquarters were at Torphichen, was demolished during the redevelopment of this site in 1885. Drwings made of the building during the demolition have been a substantial establishment consisting of a large blackened tower below which were two small courtyards surrounded by arched buildings. One of these buildings perhaps the common hall, still had some fine oak ceiling struts and a large stone fireplace. Ruined cottages at rear demolished 1990. Archaeological investigation of site carried out 1991 by Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust Ltd. Consent granted 1991 for conversion of former hotel to flats and shops and erection of new houses at rear.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p303. LINLITHGOW HERITAGE TRAIL ed Bruce Jamieson.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-17 AND 19-21 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 04:45