MALTING BARN: 1880. 4-storey, 13-bay rectangular-plan maltings building joined to 2-storey double kiln with pagoda roofs. Coursed cream sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, rock-faced window surrounds. Symmetrically placed windows, small windows in upper 3 storeys. Eaves course, quoins.
N (STREET) ELEVATIONS: 6 bays at ground and 1st floor; 13 symmetrical bays to upper storeys. Tall narrow 4-centred arch doorpiece off-centre left, chamfered surround, keystone, fanlight, 4-centred arch opening to right, keystone dated 1880; bipartite window above at 1st floor, shouldered-arch loading door with gabled dormerhead above to top storey. Windows to remaining bays, small windows to bays to upper storey. Door in return to left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: door off-centre right window flanking to right; 13 symmetrical bays to upper 3 storeys, with small window to each bay except door to 1st floor to outer left with metal forestair.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4 bays; small windows symmetrically disposed to each bay to upper 3 storeys including fire escape doors to outer right.
INTERIOR: cast-iron columns supporting wooden floors.
DOUBLE KILNS: lower 2-storey block adjoined to malting barn to E and set back from street.
N (STREET) ELEVATION: segmental-headed opening to centre with 2-leaf boarded doors suspended on sliding track, flanked by windows; 2 small windows at 1st floor.
Wooden mullions and transom windows, wooden shutters lower, fixed-pane upper. Grey slate roof with double pagoda roofs to kilns.
Statement of Special Interest
The whisky distillery, of which Provost Adam Dawson was a proprietor, was moved from its former site at Bonnytoun Farm to be near supplies of coal and coke transported along the canal in 1834. The distillery was called St Magdalene's because of its situation on the lands called St Magdalene's Cross, once the site of the popular and important 'Madaline' fair, which in turn derived its name from St Magdalene's Chapel which stood nearby. In 1912 the owners A & J Dawson Ltd went into liquidation, and it was taken over by The Distillers Copmpany, which was incorporated into Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd in 1914. Planning application in progress (1991) to change building to residential use.