Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BONNYTOUN HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDEN AND ORNAMENTAL STACKLB37360

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 18/11/1991

Location

  • Local Authority: West Lothian
  • Planning Authority: West Lothian
  • Burgh: Linlithgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 1098 77930
  • Coordinates: 301098, 677930

Description

Attributed to Thomas Hamilton, circa 1840. 2-storey over basement, 3-bay, almost square-plan, Tudor style house. Cream squared, coursed and stuggesd sandstone rubble, ashlar porch, canted bays, base course and dressings. Eaves course, bipartite windows with finialled dormerheads, bipartite and tripartite windows with chamfered moulded architraves, hoodmoulds or cornices to S (entrance) W and E elevations, bracketted cills with bolection moulding to S and W elevations, raised angle margins.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; taller gabled and finialled bay advanced to left with lower 2-bay to right, projecting porch in re-entrant angle, flight of 6-steps flanked by tapering dies, moulded architrave to porch entrance, hoodmould, corners with octagonal panelled columns, clustered consoles as capitals, frieze, dentilled cornice, balustraded parapet, panelled pedestals with ball finials at corners, round-headed window in right return; doorpiece with moulded architrave, flanked by narrow lights, fan-light, fielded panelled door. Very small window to right, bipartite window far right, canted bay window with blocking course to left. Dormerheaded bipartites over porch (rendered and lined) and to right, tripartite window to left.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror image of S elevation, with corniced bipartite windows to 2-bays at ground to right, dormerheads above. Canted window to basement and ground at left, tripartite window above.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bays; advanced gabled bay to left with door and window to basement, bipartite window at ground and 1st floor; 2-bay wing to right with window to basement and 1st floor, advanced squared bay to far right with 4-light mullioned window at ground, corbelled at 1st with blind bipartite window, blocking course. Single storey over basement L-plan wing to far left, small window in advanced gabled bay, fanlit door with cornce on right return, window to right wing, small window to left (face-ing E) return.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bays; taller gabled bay to far left with

corbelled stack at apex, lower single bay link with small windows at ground and 1st floor to right, gabled bay with bipartite windows at ground and 1st far right, E elevation of L-plan to outer right. Taller gabled bay with lead-paned stair window, recessed at centre above link bay.

Variety of glazing patterns, mostly 8-pane sash and case to each light. Grey slate roof, roof light on S elevation, gablet coped skews, moulded and bracketted skewputts, fine display of all corniced and coped sandstone diamond stacks in groups of 2, 4 and 5, moulded cans.

INTERIOR: fine classical decor retained. Central staircase hall, well stair with serpentine cast-iron balusters, triple arcade on 1st floor landing, ceiling with dentil and console cornice, centrepiece of lotus leaves with key pattern border. Study with Adam-style chimneypiece with marine theme motifs. Dining room with console cornice, similar centrepiece to hall, sideboard recess framed by columns similar to porch columns with capitals of eight consoles under a plain abacus, Rococo pelmets, adam-style chimneypiece with marine motifs, frieze moulded

with tiny copperplate initials R and F. Drawing room with part coffered ceiling, centrepiece with acanthus leaves, bracketted cornices over doors.

WALLED GARDEN AND STACK: rubble walls with entrance inscribed 1848 at sides, open-apex pediment cradling ball finial. Chimney stack inside garden with cusped cornice, panels of rampant lions and coroneted roses.

Statement of Special Interest

Bonnytoun House was built for the local distiller Adam Dawson. The villa is attributed by C McWilliam to Thomas Hamilton. Joe Rock (Talbot Rice University Art Gallery) noted that although a certain purity of architecture which is Hamilton's trademark is missing from Bonnytoun there are features which suggest Hamilton in the interior decoration, particularly the doors in round-arched architraves which appears in William Trotter's house in Abercrombie place which is also by Hamilton. the chimneypiece in the dining room was imported from Cowdenhill House, which has been demolished. The initials R and F on the chimneypiece possibly represent those of the manufacturer. A similar chimneypiece is to be found at No 63 High Street, Linlithgow. C McWilliam suggested that the pediment to the entracne of the walled garden was most likely taken from the Town House of Linlithgow whose reconstruction after a fire in 1847 was paid for by Adam Dawson. The chimney in the walled garden appears to have been concocted of left-overs from Dalmeny House.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) P114-116.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 26/08/2016 02:25