Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BLACKNESS ROAD, ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (ROMAN CATHOLIC)LB37359

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1992
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Burgh
Linlithgow
NGR
NT 00583 77349
Coordinates
300583, 677349

Description

Pugin and Pugin , 1887, enlarged 1893, internal modernisation by J A Coia, 1952. Rectangular-plan 7-bay Gothic church including projecting side porch and baptistery, 2-bay N chapel and with chancel; presbytery joined to SE corner. Cream coursed bull-faced sandstone masonry, ashlar dressings. Off-set base course, hood-moulds, banded hoodmould course to W, N, S elevations, eaves course, staged and off-set buttresses, saw tooth coped to W elevation and side chapel. Pointed-arch openings, cusped palte tracery to N, S elevations.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATIONS: 3-bay gabled elevation with bays divided by buttresses, gabletted flanking slightly advanced centre bay. Pointed-arch and chamfered doorway; 4-light window with cusped curvilinear tracery. Hood-moulded plaque over inscribed 'IN MEMORIAM MARIE SCOTORIUM REGINAE 1893'. Centre-bay flanked by single cusped lights. Projecting porch to outer right and baptistery to left, single lights to W face.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay to nave, each bay divided by plilaster strips; baptistry to outter right, gabled with small window to centre; 2 windows to gabled side chapel as transept to left with circular window with quatrefoils set above.

Grey slate roof, ashlar coped skews with double kneelers to W

elevation, shouldered and gablet skewputts, stone cross finials, original rainwater goods. Leaded diamond-pane glazing.

INTERIOR: aisleless church, 2-bay arcade to N transept supported by single column with rol-moulded capital, chancel arch, galery at W end, simple scissor-beam roof supproted by posts on shouldered moulded stone corbels. Panelled reredos by Coia. Stained glass, window in chapel (St John) by John Blyth, 1957.

PRESBYTERY: 2-storey, asymmetrical L-plan house, joined by single storey link to church at NW. Cream coloured coursed bull-faced sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Base, cill and eaves course. Bipartite and tripartite windows with stone mullions.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: full-height canted window to left, tripartite at ground to right, bipartite above; link to far left with bipartite shouldered window to right, single light to left.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: taller gabled elevation to left with 2 windows at ground and 1st floor, apex stack; recessed 3 bays to right with porch in re-entrant angle, single leaded light to S face, chamfered segmental-arch doorpiece on return to right; tripartite window with relieving arch at ground to right, 3 bipartite windows above.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable facade, single storey projection at NE.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Steep pitched grey slate roof, sandstone stacks at gables, ashlar coped skews, corbelled skew blocks at end of gables. Original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: original 19th century chimneypieces.

Statement of Special Interest

Original windows replaced by modern uPVC glazing (1990).

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p290.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLACKNESS ROAD, ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 04:32