Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BLACKNESS ROAD, LOW PORT PRIMARY SCHOOL, (FORMER LINLITHGOW ACADEMY)LB37358

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1992
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Burgh
Linlithgow
NGR
NT 00471 77307
Coordinates
300471, 677307

Description

J Graham Fairley, 1900, later additions circa 1930 to rear. Long, low, symmetrical single-storey rounghly H-plan, Baronial school. stugged, snecked, squared and course sandstone rubble with smooth ashlar dressings. Crow-stepped gables, round towers in re-entrant angles, bipartite and tripartite mullioned and transomed windows.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: taller block to centre flanked by lower L-plan wings.

CENTRE BLOCK: 5 bays; cill course, string course below coped parapet, corbelled at corners. Taller advanced crowstepped gabled bay to centre with tripartite window, frieze above incised 'AD ERECTED 1900', roundel above carved 'LPSB LINLITHGOW PARISH SCHOOL BOARD'; lion and shield finial apex; narrow round-headed windows to right and left, bipartite to outer bays.

WING AND PAVAILION TO LEFT; centre block flanked by slightly recessed lower wings terminated by advanced pavilions with gabled porch and 4-stage circular tower in re-entrant angle.

WING: gabled bipartite winow breaking eaves with thistle finial to left; 2 narrow windows to far left.

Porch and tower: S face of porch with round-arched entrance, mannered and moulded at impost level, stepped moulded string course, ball finials to apex; shouldered-arched entrance on return to right, narrow window to far right at foot of tower. Tower with stepped string course at 1st and 3rd stages, corbelled at 2nd, 4 arrowslit windows in top stage, conical slate roof, ball finial.

PAVILION: advanced crowstepped gabled elevation with tripartite window, apron, open pediment, arrowslit above, ball finial.

WING TO RIGHT: mirror image of wing to left with rose finial above bipartite window breaking eaves to wing.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single storey over basement, 4 bays to right with recessed bays to left. Doopr and narrow window to basement to right; bipartitre corniced and gabled window breaking eaves at ground to centre, bipartite window to outer right, slightly advanced crowstepped gabled bay to left with 2 paired corniced bipartite windows, oculus to gablehead. Bipartite window on return to left. Recessed bays to left with bipartite window to right and taller slightly advanced crowstepped gabled bay to left with tripartite window, stepped string course above and arrowslit to gablehead. Gabled on left (N) return, 3 low doors tobasement, window at ground to left, oculus to gablehead. Rear elevations blocked by additions.

E (SIDE) ELEVATIO: mirror image of W side extended by bipartite window to right and bipartite window breaking eaves to outer right. Gabled return, blocked-upp door to left, 2 stepped windows to right.

W REAR ELEVATION: catslide roof to left, 3 windows to right.

Modern single storey gabled additions in rear courtyard including 10-bay block extending from rear of main block at centre.

Mostly multi-pane glazing patterns. Grey slate roof, cupola to centre block, ashlar coped skews, moulded bracketted beak skewputts, corniced and coped sandstoner stacks splayed at base, 2 modern rooflights to E wing at rear.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p303.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLACKNESS ROAD, LOW PORT PRIMARY SCHOOL, (FORMER LINLITHGOW ACADEMY)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 04:28