Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-7 (ODD NOS) VALLEY DRIVELB37343

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/12/1994
Supplementary Information Updated
12/08/1999
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Leslie
NGR
NO 24512 1358
Coordinates
324512, 701358

Description

Later 19th century. 2 pairs of neighbouring single storey, semi-detached cottages, each 6-bay pair mirrored about centre. Squared rubble Aberdeen Bond with contrasting long and short work ashlar quoins, window and door margins. Deep-set, moulded doorways with deeply chamfered arrises and stone bracketed cornice canopies. Deeply overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends.

PRINCIPAL ELEVATIONS: symmetrical. Centre door to each cottage with flanking windows.

RETURN ELEVATIONS: with 2 broadly spaced windows.

REAR ELEVATIONS: rubble construction outbuildings, free-standing and attached, to all properties.

All windows modern. Grey slates. Piended roof with shouldered and coped stugged ashlar end stacks; central short stack with moulded coping. Some octagonal cans retained. Modern rooflights/solar panels to no.3.

INTERIOR: original plasterwork ceiling rose and coving in Nos 5 & 7, former also having 2 gas lamps in entrance hall.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddle-back coped, rubble boundary wall to Nos 1 and 3 rising on falling ground becoming terrace wall at No 7 with openings to street.

Statement of Special Interest

The original address for these properties was Rosebank, Station Road. The area, known as Prinlaws, provided housing for workers in the Prinlaws Mill, and was enclosed behind locked gates after dark.

Change of Category B to C(S) 12 August 1999.

References

Bibliography

2nd edition OS map, 1896. Information courtesy of owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-7 (ODD NOS) VALLEY DRIVE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 16:33