Late 18th century/early 19th century, extended to E in earlier 19th century. 2-storey and loft, 5 x 1-bay storehouse. Random rubble walls with droved ashlar dressings.
N ELEVATION: 5 bays (grouped 2-3) regularly fenestrated, windows infilled except vertically-boarded timber shutter with iron hinges to window at ground in bay to outer right;
W ELEVATION: openings centring gable; wide door at ground, loading doors at upper floors, segmental arched with 2-leaf timber doors at 1st floor, infilled at loft.
S ELEVATION: 5 bays, grouped 3-2. Left group; door at ground to left of bay to left and in centre bay, both with boarded timber infill. Right group; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door at ground in bay to right, timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; 12-pane to left, 4-pane to right. Boarded timber infill to other windows.
E ELEVATION: corner to right chamfered at ground; openings roughly centring gable; 6-panel domestic timber door with 5-pane fanlight above at ground; openings at upper floors infilled; additional small square window in gablehead.
Modern corrugated sheet cladding to roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The firm of Hay and Ogilvy collapsed in 1842 due to decline in the herring boom and damage to their fishing fleet in a gale. The collapse resulted in the establishment of Hay & Co in 1844 when William Hay joined forces with his sons, William and Charles. They originally worked from premises in Commercial Street, but William applied for new premises at Freefield, and by 1845 it was one of the busiest spots in Lerwick. The company caught, cured, bought, and exported fish on a very large scale, and was actively involved in the whaling industry. It also built and repaired ships and sold goods wholesale and retail including the Welsh roofing slate that can now be seen throughout Shetland. A photograph of circa 1890 shows a substantial ridge stack marking the former gable end.