Alexander Ellis of Aberdeen, 1862-4, tower added by him in 1891-2, alterations to chancel by Alexander Ross, 1899. Gothic church comprising 3-bay gabled nave, oriented N-S, with single bay gabled chancel projecting to N, and 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner. Stugged rubble walls to nave and chancel, stugged ashlar tower, stugged and droved dressings.
TOWER: vestry projecting at lower stage to S and E; mullioned tripartite window centring S elevation with gablet breaking eaves above; paired windows flanking centre of tower wall above; curved E vestry wall connecting to entrance porch at right; gabled single storey stair tower in re-entrant to N. Slit windows in 2nd stage with angle buttresses, string courses above. Paired pointed-arched openings to belfry with string course at springer level, crenellated parapet corbelled out at eaves, stone spouts at corners. Crowstepped gables to cap-house roof with bracketted skewputts and crosslet arrowslit in N gablehead.
NAVE: gabled entrance porch centring S elevation at ground; pointed-arched vertically-boarded timber door with pointed-arched window in side; circular plate-traceried wheel window centred in gablehead above. 3-bay nave elevation with pointed-arched windows in each bay except for bay to outer left and right of W and E elevation respectively containing paired bipartite pointed-arched windows.
CHANCEL: tall and narrow, gabled, with traceried pointed-arched window (inserted by Ross 1899) in W elevation, organ chamber with mullioned bipartite window centred in gable, projecting from E elevation; wheel window in N chancel gable, matching that in S gable.
Leaded window to entrance porch. Stained glass of 1864 depicting crucifixion in N wheel window (dial pattern), floreate design to S window; W chancel window by Clayton & Bell 1899, leaded diamond-pane side windows to nave with coloured border glazing; some stained glass windows by Sir Ninian Comper circa 1900 depicting figures. Grey slate roofs with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with decorative hoppers to nave, chancel and tower. Ashlar skew copes with carved stone crosses at apexes.
INTERIOR: 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber inner entrance doors. Timber floor, pews and wainscoting to nave. Open timber roofs; scissor trusses to nave, kingposts bearing on stone corbels in chancel. Octagonal timber pulpit on painted stone base. Pointed-arched chancel arch; pink granite colonettes with floreate capitals on heavy corbels supporting inner arch. Stencilled decoration around N window. Pointed-arched opening to organ chamber in E wall, arcaded sedilia and credence niche to left. Sacrament house in W wall; vertically-boarded timber door with decorative cast-iron hinges and escutcheon, fronted by stone shelf. Stone sanctuary steps, coloured tiled floor, altar supported on 3 ashlar columns.
RECTORY: symmetrical; single storey and attic, gabled house. Rubble walls with stugged and droved dressings. Principal elevation to N comprising central 4-pane timber door with 2-pane fanlight above, 3-light single storey corniced canted windows in flanking bays with 4-pane timber sash and case windows and plate glass sidelights. Grey modern tile roof; piend-roofed slate-hung canted timber dormers, 4-pane timber sash and case windows with plate glass sidelights. Multi-flue apex stacks with ashlar copes and octagonal cans. Piend-roofed single storey service wing to W.
BOUNDARY WALL: random rubble boundary wall to W.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.