Circa 1820. Single storey and attic, 3-bay symmetrical house with gabled wings projecting to rear giving approximate U-plan. Harled S elevation, harl-pointed rubble side and rear elevations, painted stone dressings.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical, projecting gabled porch centred at ground with boarded entrance door in W side, border-glazed 6-pane timber fixed-light in gable. Regular fenestration in flanking bays; dormers with harled gabled dormerheads breaking eaves at outer bays.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable with windows at ground and 1st floor in bay to right; modern cement-rendered porch projecting to left.
N(REAR) ELEVATION: single window centring elevation at ground, flanking bays obscured by projecting gabled wings, that at right (W) altered and modernised, that at left with single window in advanced section of E elevation.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay gable, blank except for window at 1st floor in bay to left.
4-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey slate roofs; harled apex stacks, coped, with circular cans. Cement-rendered skew copes with bracketted skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: cement-rendered and lined rubble wall with concrete triangular cope to S. Entrance gate at centre with stugged and painted gatepiers surmounted by gabled caps. Random rubble boundary wall to W.
Statement of Special Interest
North Ness House was built for Peter Lesslie, a native of Dundrossness and retired shipmaster. He bought the property, cultivated the ground, and built the North and South Stations. This house has presided over the North Ness and is a prominent feature in old photographs of this area. One of the early 1880?s shows the principal elevation with the gabled porch, but no dormer windows. It is now less visible due to the proximity of later buildings, but still forms a striking group when viewed with the neighbouring Jahara (see separate listing).