Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GREMISTA ROAD, THE BOD OF GREMISTALB37258

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/12/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
10/08/2017
Local Authority
Shetland Islands
Planning Authority
Shetland Islands
Burgh
Lerwick
NGR
HU 46447 43127
Coordinates
446447, 1143127

Description

Circa 1790. 2-storey, 3-bay near-symmetrical house of rectangular plan. Harled walls.

East (principal) elevation: modern vertically-boarded timber door at ground offset to left of centre; regular fenestration in flanking bays and at first floor.

South gable: single window to left at first floor. North gable: modern vertically-boarded timber door (to salt store) centred at ground, single windows to right at first floor and attic.

West (rear) elevation: asymmetrical 3-bay elevation with windows at first floor in bay to centre and right, small windows at ground flanking centre.

Timber sash and case windows; 12-pane to principal openings, 4 and 8-pane elsewhere. Stone slab pegged roof with stone ridge; harled apex stacks with thackstanes, coped, with circular cans.

Interior: modern museum interior of 1987.

Statement of Special Interest

The Bod of Gremista is best known as the birthplace of Arthur Anderson. His father Robert - an Unst man - had impressed Arthur Nicolson of Lochend sufficiently to be placed in charge of fishcuring operations at Gremista. He moved to the recently built Bod with his wife, Elizabeth Ridland of Dundrossness, and their eldest child Arthur was born in 1792. After starting his career in the Royal Navy, Arthur co-founded the Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Company with Brodie McGhie Willcox. Concerned for the conditions of the Shetland people, he served as Member of Parliament for Orkney and Shetland from 1847 to 1852 and founded the Anderson Educational Institute (see separate listing, LB37264) in 1862. After an initial restoration around 1970 this building was further restored as a museum in 1987.

Minor changes to Statement of Special Interest section in 2017.

References

Bibliography

Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p23.

Bod of Gremista Management Committee THE BOD OF GREMISTA (1989).

James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p95, 277.

John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p494.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GREMISTA ROAD, THE BOD OF GREMISTA

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 17:44