Circa 1760, with early 19th century addition. L-plan town house with shop, comprising 3-storey and attic 3-bay gabled range to SW, with 2-storey and attic range to W. Harled walls with droved ashlar and cement rendered margins cills to windows.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, entrance door at centre bay, narrow window adjacent at right and in centre bay to floors above; blank in bay at ground floor to right.
NE (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical 2-bay gable, cement rendered and lined at ground, 6-panel door in bay to left, blank at floors above.
NW ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated.
SW ELEVATION: 2-storey (ground floor concealed) 3-bay asymmetrical elevation comprising 2-bay gable end of SW range at right with door at left and window at right, blank at (2nd ) floor above, small square windows flanking centre of gablehead.
Predominantly 12 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows, some fixed-lights (2-pane to shop) and hoppers. Modern entrance doors. Grey-purple slate roof, harled stacks, some with thackstanes, all coped with variety of circular cans. Cement-rendered skews, W gable crowstepped.
INTERIOR: many internal fittings from both original and later buildings phases surviving including cornices, panelled shutters and doors with brass rim locks. Unusual 3-panel doors to 1st floor bedroom with upper panel balustraded, flanking fluted pilasters. Substantial handrail to staircase reputedly made from ships timber.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble wall to Commercial Street, extending to E from NE gable; squat margined entrance gate with segmental-arched safe lintel to rear and iron hinge pins to jambs; cill centred over gate with corbels above and flanking infilled square openings. Cement-rendered rubble wall extending to W from gable, vertically-boarded timber shuttering to doorway with square opening above lintel. Retaining wall incorporating vaulted cellars to S of flagged yard, doorpiece with lugged architrave in adjacent free-standing wall. Harled wall with concrete cope bounding E side of courtyard, random rubble wall bounding garden to S.