Wood and Ainslie of London architects, 1896-8 (1896 rainwater
heads). Asymmetrical hospital with Scots baronial detailing
(modern health centre addition at NW). Irregular-plan; one
and 2-storey ranges with main axis and stair in massive dummy
tower house; ranges to S and to W of latter all single storey
and arranged around west-facing terraced courtyard
overlooking garden, open and arcaded battered basement at W.
East-facing main door in range nearest SE. Bull-nosed,
snecked (whita stone) masonry, roll-moulded windows mostly
paired or grouped, occasionally corniced or with gabled or
segmental dormerheads above eaves level, gables with skews
run horizontally over massive plain skewputts. Tower has
crenellated deep parapet with cable moulding raised over
small attic windows and with spouts, coped central stack E
and W, each with chimney breast rising from ground level;
door to terrace in SW tower angle, corbelled circular stair
turret above also crenellated. Terrace with canted
west-facing window corbelled to square below gable;
serpentine balustrades, steps to garden. Coped stacks; slate
Swept-roofed ventilator at N end of long N range; addition is
INTERIOR: octagonal operating theatre towards S, with steel
and steel-lined doors, blocked fireplace, central cupola.
GATE LODGE detailed as on main building to W; 2 storeys,
off-centre gable to hospital driveway, porch in re-entrant
angle, wavy wall-head parapet continued over return elevation
to David Street, elaborate crest set in curved corner.
Elaborate wrought-iron gates, standards and railings.
Detached small octagonal MORTUARY to SE with facetted roof,
leaded bell-cast apex ventilator.
GARDEN mostly enclosed by coped bull-nosed ashlar boundary
walls with buttresses, walls at N and W stugged, and with