George Goldie and Matthew Hadfield 1856-9, burnt 1907,
rebuilt Ashlin and Coleman 1908-10. Snecked and stugged
pink sandstone with yellow ashlar dressings. Gothic
revival in late 13th century style. Chancel with flanking
side chapel, transepts nave, aisles, former baptistry at
south west. Tower and spire attached to north aisle at
EXTERIOR: 6-bay buttressed nave; wheel window above blank
arcading at west; mural stair in projecting 1/2 octagon.
Projecting 5-sided baptistry at south west. Geometric
tracery in aisle windows; plate tracery in clerestory
windows, set in shallow squared recesses. 2-bay transepts
incorporating 2 windows in both north and south gable ends
from original church, rose window above. 2-bay chancel
divided by piers, 3 cusped lancets in each with hood
moulds. Projecting boldly detailed corbel table. East End:
1856-9. 3 buttresses, blind arcade below central rose
window with decorated gable head; flanking pointed niches
with crocketted gables and pinnacles. Tall 3-stage
buttressed tower and spire. Porch at base, 2 arched
entrances with nook shafts, niches with figures and
crocketted canopies over. Pair of narrow lancets in 2nd
stage; 2 tall louvred lancets to bellfry; bold corbel
table; pierced parapet; pairs of octagonal crocketted
angle pinnacles the inner ones clasping the stone facetted
spire. Bands of trefoil decoration and crocketted point
to spire. Weathervane.
Fishscale slate roof with tiled ridges, carved crosses at
Organ loft at west supported by clustered piers and 3
segmental arches. Polished Galway granite 4-shafted
columns with elaborately carved foliate capitals to Nave
arcade. Niches with figures in spandrels, supported on
corbelled squat columns; attached shafts above with
capitals support wooden roof trusses. Timber panelled
roof to Nave with painted borders. Chancel with decorated
arcades to north and south openings to side Chapels.
Triple lights in clerestory. Marble altar by Goldie with
rerdos of 1901 by Pugin and Pugin in marble and Caen
stone. Rose window above under pointed arch with carved
spandrels. Plaster rib vaulted roof. Altar in Lady Chapel
Pugin and Pugin 1895.
Statement of Special Interest
The former St Mary's Hospital, 18<> now incorporated into
District Council offices omitted from list because the
central bay now form link to new Council Chambers.
Chancel reorganised 1976 as result of 2nd Vatican Council
directions. Raised sanctury platform (original floor
beneath). Modern altar. Pulpit and high altar rails
removed but stored in basement.
Listed in an A Group with the Church Hall, Presbytery and Precinct Gates.
Up-graded category B to A August 1999.