Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

NEW LANARK, ROSEDALE STREET, 5-12 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DOUBLE ROW, KNOWN AS WATER ROWLB37042

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
06/06/2017
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 87911 42650
Coordinates
287911, 642650

Description

Late 18th century in two building phases. 3-storey (4 and 5 storeys to S) 24-bay gabled terrace of mill workers houses on sloping site, 2 rooms deep. Random sandstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins. Regular fenestration with tabbed margins. Symmetrical 3-bay units, each with central door and flanking windows, to N and S elevations. Stair windows between 2nd and 3rd floors to S elevation; small square windows directly above between 3rd and 4th floors. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Gable and ridge stacks with small cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Grey slates. INTERIOR: some original features have been retained in no 11, bays 19-21, now known as the Museum Stair including original timber stair, timber partitions, box beds and some fireplaces.

Statement of Special Interest

The two adjacent parts of Double Row form a part of the prominent group of housing at the north end of the village and mill complex and are a significant component of the villagescape. They demonstrate Dale¿s ingenious solution to the problem of planning his Utopian village. No 11, which is Scheduled, has a very rare surviving 18th and 19th century interior and is the best surviving example of how these dwellings would have originally appeared in terms of both layout and fixtures. The housing provided for the workers in New Lanark is particularly important as it is not typical of social housing of the 18th century. Many planned settlements for the accommodation of workers sprang up in the age of improvement all over Scotland - for example, at Charlestown (Fife), Grantown-on-Spey, Newcastleton and Inveraray. Generally the buildings were low rise and arranged in a grid plan around formal squares focussed on public buildings. The topography of the New Lanark site prevented low-rise housing and so these tall tenements were built instead. These stacked tenement-like structures prefigure the City Improvement scheme and other tenements which appeared in the cities in the second half of the 19th century. Later mill complexes such as Stanley and Catrine used the more conventional grid of two-storey blocks. Double Row is the only row of workers housing in New Lanark that is 2 rooms deep, allowing flexible accommodation depending on the needs of each family. Each 3-bay unit contained two stairs, one over the other, entered from either Rosedale Street or Water Row. There were 4 rooms on each floor and these could be allocated as 1, 2 or 4 apartments. The 6 north bays of 1-4 Double Row were probably built at the same time as the 6 south bays of 5-12 Double Row, as the texture and colour of the stone of these adjacent parts is similar whilst the other parts of each terrace are different and were perhaps built earlier. Early views of the terrace would seem to confirm this. The severity of the long terrace is alleviated by its good proportions, the warm colour and texture of the stone and contrasting cream coloured dressings. New Lanark was a pioneering cotton-spinning village which became a model for industrial communities that was to spread across the world in the 19th and 20th centuries and is recognised as being of outstanding importance historically and in visual terms because of its completeness and its physical form. Both in the individual parts and in the overall layout elements of sophisticated early town planning are evidenced from the mill weir, its lade and tunnel to south, to the tunnels and sluices leading off to the individual mills, the crucially generous circulation spaces, gardens, tailored walks and viewing points realised from the start. It is surrounded by an incomparable natural and designed landscape, the mill buildings sitting on the natural terrace to the east of the River Clyde in this deeply incised, wooded river valley. Built to exploit the water power offered by the Falls of Clyde, the mills were in operation from 1786 to 1968. The mill village is made up of industrial, residential and community buildings, dating predominantly from between 1786 and the 1820s. The mill was founded by David Dale, a Glasgow merchant, in conjunction with Richard Arkwright, a trailblazing inventor of the cotton spinning industry whose patents enabled operation on a considerable scale. Dale s humane philosophy, realised from the start in the buildings of New Lanark, was expanded by Robert Owen, who took over management of the mill village in partnership from 1799. Owen created an environment where child labour and corporal punishment were abolished, and provided workers with good homes, education and free health care as well as affordable food. He had a profound influence on social developments such as factory reform throughout the 19th century. Within World Heritage Site inscribed 2001. Previously listed as 'New Lanark, 9-24 (Inclusive Nos) Double Row . List description updated 2010.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1857-8). NMRS John Hume Collection of Industrial Archaeological Images of Scotland, Photographs of Double Row (1968) NMRS refs H35/68/6/37, SC 685638. Nic Allen, David Dale, Robert Owen and the Story of New Lanark (1989). Historic Scotland, Nomination of New Lanark for inclusion in the World Heritage List (2000). www.scran.ac.uk [accessed July 2007].

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW LANARK, ROSEDALE STREET, 5-12 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DOUBLE ROW, KNOWN AS WATER ROW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/12/2018 10:19