Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
NS 87887 42713
287887, 642713


Circa 1785-95. 2-and 3-storey to front elevation with additional exposed basement to rear, 30-bay, gabled terrace of mill workers' houses, one room deep, stepped twice downhill to accommodate falling ground from W to E. Random sandstone rubble with droved and stugged ashlar dressings; E gable harled. Regular fenestration. Symmetrical 3-bay units with timber-boarded doors flanked by windows, some with steps in W sections of terrace either ascending or descending by a 'cut' in the pavement to front doors. Cambered cobbled strip running length of terrace at rear with central drain.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped rubble stacks with small black cans. Slate roof.

INTERIOR: few original features remain following late 1970s renovation. Some chimney openings and details such as iron hook for cooking purposes on lower level; carved stone to architrave at no 6.

Statement of Special Interest

This impressive terrace is an important element in the mill and village complex and is situated on a prominent site. It is the first building, apart from the twin lodges at the upper end of New Lanark Road that is encountered on the way into the village. As with a number of the other buildings in the village, the main visual impact is made by the long row of repeated units and the colour and texture of the stone.

The housing provided for the workers in New Lanark is particularly important as it is not typical of social housing of the 18th century. Many planned settlements for the accommodation of workers sprang up in the age of improvement all over Scotland - for example, at Charlestown (Fife), Grantown-on-Spey, Newcastleton and Inveraray. Generally the buildings were low rise and arranged in a grid plan around formal squares focussed on public buildings. However because of the topography of the site at New Lanark this was not possible. Housing had to be higher rise and organised in long terraces. These stacked tenement-like structures prefigure the City Improvement scheme and other tenements which appeared in the cities in the second half of the 19th century. Later mill complexes however such as Stanley and Catrine used the more conventional grid of two-storey blocks.

In an insurance valuation of 1903 the terrace had 18 houses of two apartments, 18 of one apartment, cellarage and wash-houses in the basement. It was developed into 10 single terraced houses for restorer-purchasers, rather than Housing Association tenants, in 1975-80, mainly because of the single aspects of the two lower storeys.

New Lanark was a pioneering cotton-spinning village, which became a model for industrial communities that was to spread across the world in the 19th and 20th centuries and is recognised as being of outstanding importance historically and in visual terms because of its completeness and its physical form. Elements of sophisticated early town planning are evidenced in the orchestration of the various components in the village, from the mill weir, its lade and tunnel to south, to the tunnels and sluices leading off to the individual mills, the crucially generous circulation spaces, gardens, tailored walks and viewing points realised from the start. It is surrounded by an incomparable natural and designed landscape, the mill buildings sitting on the natural terrace to the east of the River Clyde in this deeply incised, wooded river valley.

Built to exploit the water power offered by the Falls of Clyde, the mills were in operation from 1786 to 1968. The mill village is made up of industrial, residential and community buildings, dating predominantly from between 1786 and the 1820s. The mill was founded by David Dale, a Glasgow merchant, in conjunction with Richard Arkwright, a trailblazing inventor of the cotton spinning industry whose patents enabled operation on a considerable scale. Dale's humane philosophy, realised from the start in the buildings of New Lanark, was expanded by Robert Owen, who took over management of the mill village in partnership from 1799. Owen created an environment where child labour and corporal punishment were abolished, and provided workers with good homes, education and free health care as well as affordable food. He had a profound influence on social developments such as factory reform throughout the 19th century.

Within World Heritage Site inscribed 2001.

List description updated 2010.



1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1857-58). Insurance Valuation of New Lanark buildings with Inventory (1903). Glasgow and Lanarkshire Illustrated (1904), p123. Francis Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1885), Vol 11, p453. Historic Scotland, Nomination of New Lanark for inclusion in the World Heritage List, (2000). [accessed July 2007].

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW LANARK 1-10 (INCLUSIVE NOS) BRAXFIELD ROW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/03/2019 22:34