Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEW LANARK, COMMUNITY HALL (FORMER NEW LANARK CHURCH) WITH GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB37037

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/08/1974
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 88014 42650
Coordinates
288014, 642650

Description

Thomas Carlaw, 1898-99. Single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan, simple Gothic church with W gable belfry and porch adjoining W gable, at right angles to main axis of church. Snecked pink sandstone with polished yellow ashlar dressings. Base course, eaves course. Long and short quoins. Regular fenestration to N & S elevations with roll-moulded hoodmoulds and tabbed, chamfered margins. 2-leaf timber-boarded door to gabled lobby-porch. Cross finial to E gable.

Mainly square-pane leaded glazing. Ashlar-coped skews with gableted bracketed skewputts; skews to porch with chamfered edges. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: simple late 19th century interior. Timber-boarded panelling to dado height. Braced timber roof to main hall with herringbone-pattern boards between trusses. Timber altar rail with ball finials. Commemorative plaque. 4-panelled timber doors.

GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: church raised above street level on terrace with 4 steps up at gateway (gate missing). Stop-chamfered gatepiers with gothic mouldings and gableted caps. Random rubble boundary walls with chamfered cope and spear-headed wrought-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such (since 1971). It was sold by the Church of Scotland to the New Lanark Association Ltd in 1974 and now serves as a community hall. The church occupies a very prominent position at the bottom of the main footpath entering New Lanark. Though simple in design the detailing of the church is good both inside and out and reflects the training and early years of the architect Thomas Carlaw.

Carlaw was born in 1851 and trained as a joiner. By the 1880s he was running a successful joinery business in Lanark though clearly he was willing to turn his hand to a variety of jobs, as he is variously described as joiner, cartwright and clerk of works. He may have been responsible for the design of the new school in New Lanark which was opened in 1884; certainly he is listed with his partner 'Murray' (probably a member of his future wife's family) as undertaking the joinery work there.

The church post-dates Dale's and Owen's involvement with the village by more than 50 years. The fact that they did not provide a church for the mill-workers (other than the New Buildings and later the Institute for the Formation of Character, where religious services of sorts could be held) indicates Dale's attitude to the established church and Owen's strong opposition to organised religion. David Dale had deep religious beliefs and founded the Old Scotch Independents, known as Daleites. He did not approve of the established church but provided meeting rooms for his and three other sects in the village. Owen denounced what he described as 'absurd and irrational forms of religion' but made some provision for religious observance in the Institute.

Henry Birkmyre, proprietor of the Gourock Ropework Company who acquired the mills in 1881, was a staunch supporter of the United Presbyterian Church. He was keen that the workers attended formal church services and tangled with the workers over the provision of a church. In the end he gave the site for the church free of charge as well as paying for the installation of electric power. The foundation stone was laid on 15 October 1898 and it was opened in June 1899. The church provided accommodation for 250 people and cost £1200, much of which was raised by subscription.

New Lanark village is made up of industrial, residential and community buildings, dating predominantly from between 1786 and the 1820s. The mill complex was founded by David Dale, Glasgow merchant, in conjunction with Richard Arkwright, trailblazing inventor of the cotton industry. Dale's humane philosophy was expanded by Robert Owen, who took over management of the mill village in partnership from 1799-1825. The mills were in operation from 1786 to 1968.

Within World Heritage Site inscribed 2001.

References

Bibliography

Hamilton Advertiser, October 22 1898. Book of newscuttings, mainly from Hamilton Advertiser, Lindsay Institute, Lanark. John Butt (Ed.) Robert Owen, Prince of Cotton Spinners (1971). Clydesdale Museums Forum, Discover Historic Clydesdale (1993). Lorna Davidson, A Brief History of the New Lanark Church (1998), (unpublished, copy held in New Lanark Conservation Trust Archives). Dictionary of Scottish Architects,

www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 2007].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW LANARK, COMMUNITY HALL (FORMER NEW LANARK CHURCH) WITH GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 10:12